Friday 20 March 2009

New House

View of Kigali from my new porch.

Tuesday night was my last night at the old house. I realised I could either finish packing or go to the pub. I didn't feel like spending my final night there alone with everything in boxes, so I called up Sarah, one of the new volunteers, and we went for a couple of drinks at High Noon. It was exactly what was needed and we had a lovely time. It was my first drink since the antibiotics. Two just about floored me!

In the grand scheme of moves it was pretty straightforward. I got up early and packed up the last of everything, piling it up in the front room. Cathryn arrived around ten and we hung out chatting, then went to Stella for a bite to eat. She's feeling much better now, but she's a major component of the Irish Committee organising Paddy's Day and her computer had died so she had tons to catch up with online. I let her crash my connection.

Soon after she left, around 2pm, Bosco and a helper from the office turned up in the VSO van to start loading my stuff: beds, book cases, tables, bags... Nice to have two strong blokies doing that.

The only traumatic part was the cats. They were terrified of Bosco and all the moving. I should have locked them in the toilet before they came, but I didn't think of it. By the time I did think of it (in case they ran off) it was too late and they wouldn't come down from the garden wall. I eventually coaxed them down with milk, one at a time, but when I tried to carry them past the guys and into the house they went absolutely mental. I couldn't let go or I'd lose them, so they completely shredded my top - which was very sad as it's impossible to get decent clothes here - and myself. I was bleeding noticeably from my arms and chest by the time I got them in there. Great, just what I need for the ball.

Whilst Bosco and his helper finished packing the first load, I tended to the cats. The second time I checked on them I could only see Sula! I swear, I looked everywhere: behind the loo, under the sink - just one cat!

I was distraught. Went out trying to call Shue, but no cat. Bosco left to deliver the first load of stuff and I stayed behind trying to find the cat with a second realisation dawning: I had thought they'd be calm enough to sit on my lap, but I was going to need a carry box and I didn't have one.

I was getting quite upset and phoned D, who calmed me down a lot. Then I went back into the toilet and there were both cats! I couldn't believe it. Didn't even ask St. Anthony. I was so traumatised at the thought of losing Shue that I cuddled him up and cried. Silly sod. he must have been hiding in there somewhere, but his skills of concealment are quite frightening.

The next trick would be transporting them.

I was getting quite worried because the baskets I'd taken them to the vet in were now a bit small for them, and already full of things. There was a large cardboard box, but it was in use, so I took the pillow cases off my pillows and stuffed everything from the box into those. Then I took the box into the toilet and put a jumper around it to tie the sleeves together to keep it shut.

Bosco returned. By the time we'd loaded the last of the stuff, Shue had voluntarily sat in the box, but got out again when I put Sula in there. Then they both got out of the box. It wasn't too difficult to get them in again, though. When I sat down, they both came for cuddles on my lap, which is when I grabbed them and put them in the box, tying the sleeves and a shawl around it and putting another shawl on top.

Quite an achievement, but the rest of the journey went really smoothly. They were extremely good on the way to the new house. The first thing I did was put them in a spare room with some water and the litter tray, to recuperate.

The house is quite amazing. Much bigger than the last one. No obvious kitchen, but I turned the room off the main room into that. It's divided into two. You have the main room with two small rooms off it (kitchen and storage) leading to the back door. Then you have a corridor leading down to a bathroom at the end. Two small box rooms on the left (one is the spare bedroom - very small though) and the master bedroom, which is HUGE, with en-suite shower on the right!! So, two bathrooms with (cold) running showers. Really impressive.

The top prize is the panoramic view of Kigali from the porch. You can see everything, it's wonderful. A really nice house. I felt at home the moment Bosco left (although his helper did have the cheek to ask if he could have my suit jacket!)

Before they left, Bosco ran me down to the local shop to get some water and cat food because it looked like rain and my foot is still a mess. When he dropped me back outside the gate it was tipping it down! I ran through the gate and up the steps, but I was still drenched by the time I got to the top. This is when I met my landlady!

My house is semi-detached. I think they cut one big house into two. My landlady lives next door and she is absolutely lovely. Her name is Eugenie and she works for Gasabo district. She lives with her sister, who is traumatised since the genocide, so needs care. They have several kids (about four I think - Diana, Berlize and I think two others). The electricity had been off and there was an electrician - John-Marie - fixing it.

It was torrential rain. I hadn't seen it so bad in a while, so much for the 'dry season'. The whole of Kigali disappeared in the mist. When it rains that hard the house leaks quite a bit, so I put a towel across the back door. Nowhere near as bad as Rose's house, which floods.

The electricity also appears to be rather temperamental. That's because it's all underground so, when it rains, things go askew. On the up side, I have cows and goats right outside my door, which is nice. I'm in an area called Rujahiro (spelling? = Rouge-a-hear-o) in Gikondo, which is the name of a massive mansion built by a supermarket mogul. It's huge and there is a cluster of houses behind it - one of them being mine. It's kind of tough when you have no hot water, electricity, or fridge, to look out and see that!

I really like both the house and the landlady though, so I'm very happy. The house is a lot more public, with people coming and going. I attracted quite a crowd whilst moving in, but I think it will be good for me to be forced to be sociable. My last place was so private that it was easy to hole myself away in it and become quite introvert. This will be good for me, although some lines will have to be gently drawn, as I'll get to in a moment.

D came over that evening around seven. The kids had gone to get me electricity credit about an hour and a half before, so I was sitting in the dark with candles. I'm glad he was there as a random man came walking up the garden to the door and proceeded to chat away in Kinyarwanda. I couldn't understand a word. D's Kinya is much better than mine and he ascertained that the guy - Stellatoni - is my guard, who I share with next door. I'm really gladhe was there as I would have worried.

D stayed. I cooked pasta and couscous and we listened to music for a while, but not late. Being my first night I didn't want to upset anyone by having a bloke in the house. Not before having a chance to introduce him.

The first night, I didn't sleep so well. I sneezed a lot from the moving dust. The cats were restless (still too scared to go out), and I was getting used to the noises of a new house. I was really tired by morning but pulled myself out of bed and tried to do some more unpacking.

That's when the kids: Diana, Berlize and another little one came over. They had no sense of privacy, just walked straight in and started picking up and looking at everything. Big smiles and lots of 'what's this?' It reminded me of Irish Eric's place in Kabarondo where the kids pop in and out all the time and the main room opens onto the path. I asked him if he ever felt like he was on TV? He said he preferred to leave the curtains open so that people could see him: "Once people have looked and know you're there they get over it, but if you hide away you feel more resentful and people keep staring." I think there's a lot of sense in that. It was still a slight shock though, coming from such a private house to kids wandering in, walking through your rooms, sitting in your chair and touching all your belongings.

Their first question was: 'where is the baby?' I think they'd heard me the night before calling Shue 'baby': 'come here baby, it's okay baby'... and assumed I was a mother. So I explained there was no baby, only cats. Then they asked how old I am. 'How old do you think?' - their considered guess: 'twelve'. Diana and Berlize are twelve and the little one was nine. They were a bit shocked when I told them twenty-eight. Then they asked where my husband is and I said I don't have one. Where is my father? England.

So, now they think I'm an unmarried twelve-year-old mother! :op

To reclaim my space I explained that I had to work and gave them some colouring pens (knew there was a reason I was saving those!) and paper, then told them to go away and draw me some pictures to put up on my walls. They came back later to ask where the cats were (still terrified under the bed!) but I sent them kindly away. Think I'll have to think about strategies for maintaining my personal space.

After that, two men let themselves into my yard and walked up the steps to look at me.

"Yes?"

"We are here to see Eugenie," says one of them pointing at the house next door.

"Right, well you go out of the gate and round into that house next door."

"Right."

Argh! Christ, you're pointing at her bloody house, you know that is where she lives, why are you standing on my doorstep gorping like a goldfish? I'm not the first mzungu to live here.

Oh well.

Then I went into town to the bank, post office, and Indian shop for henna. Had salad at Bourbon with Suzanne, one of the new-ish Disability volunteers who's also leaving soon for financial reasons. Cathryn and the Irish Committee were there too, and Tinks, another volunteer. Also saw B, who is looking well. It was a real social event.

I came home to henna my hair, but the electricity was off all evening, so I did my nails instead. Then I headed to Nyamirambo to see Martine. D joined me there and it was a good night: Nidhi, Irish Joe, Sonya, and lots of the new vols: Rinske, Sarah, Sandra and Christiane, the Canadian woman who used to live in my house. She didn't like it there so much, but I love it. She's very happy with her new arrangement living with two of the other vols. She also said the kids are in and out all the time and if you want privacy you have to keep the door shut.

It was a lovely night. Lots of excitement from Sarah and Sandra who are also coming to the ball.

I left quite early as I was absolutely shattered. D got a moto too, and made sure I got home safe before heading off on his way. When I climbed up the steps my landlady and the guard were on their porch talking and I said 'good evening.' I'd written some questions for her and left them on the table, but she hadn't received them (she was going to ask her sister if she had taken them) - so I asked her directly instead. Seems Stellatoni can also do domestic work. Cristiane had said she paid FRW 2,000 per month for the guard and rubbish, but he asked 4,000. To be honest I didn't argue that because I used to pay Karzai 5,000 per week! With prices going up in Kigali, I feel bad for domestic staff. I share the cost with next door but I'm happy to pay that, it seems reasonable. I offered 5,000 with domestic work thrown in but we'll finalise that later, maybe 6,000 at a push as it'd cost more to have a separate guard and a domestic, plus I can claim the guard money back from VSO. He's also very well known to the landlady, so trustworthy.

I also told her about the cats and about D. I was very relieved because she has absolutely no problem with my boyfriend coming round. I said I'd introduce them as soon as possible so that she knows who he is, but she was fine about it and kept saying 'it's your house, you do as you like' which was a huge relief.

So, all in all, it looks like I'm going to be very happy here. Although it's a bit further from town, I seem to be able to beat a moto down to the same price. It's cheaper to get to Martine's than before, but public transport isn't as easy to find. Buses stop down the hill, but they only go to town. Motos are scarcer and so are shops. It would be fine if my foot wasn't as knackered as it is, but it's a little inconvenient at the moment. I'll probably keep in with the kids and get them to buy my electricity and maybe go to the market for me. If they go it'll be cheaper than me trying to buy food.

I'm currently in the process of hennaing my hair, but I made the paste too thin and runny, so it's been a nightmare. I also made the stupid mistake, whilst trying to avoid hurting my foot the other day, of burning my leg for a second time on a moto!! In well over a year I never did that - now twice in as many months. It's right on the same spot, just as the other one had almost faded away! Would happen the day before I have to wear a knee-length dress for the ball! ;o/

Between the moto burns, limping on my cut foot, the cat scratches, and the hair dye, I'm going to go to the ball looking like Freddy Kruger ;o/

D's threatening to lock me indoors to make me slow down and stop hurting myself. He's just texted - panicking over a suit for tonight. Can't wait, though. Despite the injuries and the hair, I'm really looking forward to it. I will be glowing to walk (err - hobble) in with him. He's a total sweetie.

So, Friday is finally here. Just a Disability meeting between me and free champagne!

Will get some photos of this place soon.

[NB 2013: It was actually Rujugiro, after the business man Tribert Rujugiro. And the new volunteer I mentioned, Sarah, went on to adopt my cats when I left, and became the Disability Programme Manager after Amanda.]

No comments:

Post a Comment