Thursday 26 February 2009

Staying Put

The Central Post Office was apparently demolished.
Picture: KigaliWire

This week is pootling by quite quickly.

Tuesday evening was a bit of a shock to the system. My sore throat just turned into a mild head-cold. I was just about recovered when Brad, Cathryn's colleague (slightly mental NYC bar tender) ended up back at ours teaching us how to make interesting improvisations with a coke can. Shan't expand upon that. Anyway, my almost cured mild head-cold is now a budding chest infection, and I've no one to blame but myself. Glob of florescent green phlegm anyone?

In addition, the blister accidentally burst on my moto burn and my leg was a weeping mass of singed flesh and brown gunk for a couple of days. Have fended off gangrene and think I'll just earn myself an impressive scar. It's actually healing very well.

Been in the wars a little of late, but mostly self-induced.

Had a meeting on Wednesday to discuss my placement with my Programme Manager, plus the housing situation. Turns out they aren't going to move another VSO into the house as it's more expensive than they realised. They thought they were paying FRW 170,000 per month but, apparently, when I first moved in it went up to 200,000. I'd offer to cover the difference but, as the woman was swapping tenants as a slight against me, she can have all the fun she likes looking for someone else to pay that amount of money for a 1-bedroom, cold water only, teeny cottage with the roof falling off. Housing here's in hot demand, but many a Rwandan would laugh at the price. It's a very nice house, but not practical by local standards, and not big enough by ex-pat standards.

Aaanyway, looks like I'll likely be moving to Gikondo, over near Passadena. There's a new volunteer there that they originally wanted me to share with, but Amanda was really good about not pushing that. Apparently, all new vols since January have to share, but because I came in before that it doesn't apply. Having been here for such a while now, I really don't think it'd work terribly well moving in with someone. I like everyone loads, but it's just one of those things - I'm a bit set in my ways now.

This other volunteer apparently wants to move in with another couple of vols anyway, and isn't too thrilled about the house (lot of mosquitoes apparently). So it looks like I may get it to myself. It's over near Jo's old place, so the other side of town. I worry a bit that people won't visit me as often as it'll be a bit out of the way, but I'm not unhappy about the moving concept now. I'll miss Kisimenti, I've grown to know and love it, but these things happen. Onto the next adventure, and it's only another six months or so before my service is over.

The placement is extremely slow at the moment. We talked about that a lot. Few more ideas to try and push now.

I wasn't looking forward to the meeting after the stress before Christmas and was worried it might have seen me cut my service short. Actually, it went really very well. I'm still very happy to be here. Seems I'll be finishing out my contract, and I can turn any four walls into a home pretty quick.

Cathryn's moving to Giudi's for a while this weekend. I'm going to miss her, it's been a lot of fun, although I'm certain my liver could do with the respite. She's talking of going home next month for good, think she's run her course in Rwanda and work hasn't been forthcoming for her.

I was supposed to be heading to Gisenyi this weekend with Martine, but she's now got to work the weekend and I've got this stinking cough, so I'm going to tuck myself up in bed and we'll go another time.

Watched a couple of movies: This is England and In Her Shoes. First one was very good, second one average.

Not masses to report, really. Watching Cathryn applying for jobs gave me itchy feet. I was sure I wanted to go to Mongolia on a short-term contract after this, but the desire to get a proper job is also very tempting. Won't be long until I can start having these conversations with the Programme Office. Think I'll start all that in June. Will be nice to finish out my time here as it'll get me my end of service grant to buy me a couple of months relaxation in the UK, catching up with everyone before I either do a second VSO stint or start a job elsewhere. So many possibilities :)

Went to the Post Office today to pick up a parcel Karen’s sister sent her. Karen’s now back in the UK, but I get on well with the guys in the Post Office so they helped me out. The parcel is big, it cost £54 to send and was posted, get this, on 24th January 2007!!! Took over two years to get here!

Fascinating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment