Sunday 27 September 2009

Moto Rage



What a really, really weird end to the night.

Just got back from gnocchi and diavolo sauce at Papyrus in Kimihurura with Cathryn and Kirsty. Took a moto to my gate and, just as I was about to pay, the guy looks a bit panicked and starts driving off.

Coming towards us down my street (which is a dead-end, so he has to go out the way he came in) is another moto, which blocks him off. The passenger of that moto leaps off and throws my moto driver, complete with moto, down the drive and into my next door neighbour's gate!

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

So, I spend the next twenty minutes listening to the arguments of the two moto drivers with my neighbours, in Kinyarwanda, and surprisingly understanding quite a bit of it. Funny how your language improves when you feel it's something you really ought to understand and nobody is going to help you out.

Turns out that not having a driving licence - which was the issue - was justification for GBH. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. Bunch of men playing vigilante cops.

Fine way to end an otherwise lovely evening.

Last night was Cathryn's birthday, which we spent at Sundown, a bar I'd never been to, also in Kimihurura. I passed it for the first time on Friday when I went to an Umbrella meeting at the FENAPH offices. The meeting place was so hard to find (half an hour going round in circles on the back of a moto with absolutely no signposts) that when I passed that bar it was like a vision, I knew I'd never forget where it was. Little did I know the next night I'd be drinking in there.

It's a really lovely place and it was a great night, though I was completely the worse for wear. Primus, then the Waragi train (which has only one destination - pain!), then coke and whisky. Loads of people there, though. Much fun was had, and I got a lift back to civilisation with friends in a car with beer all over the back seat, so I had to blow-dry my arse on a moto home.

Things are good. Still no departure date. Why ask us to request tickets two months in advance if you leave it so long to purchase them? Strange system. Is there a system?

But I'm ready now. I feel like I'm done, though it's gutting to miss Giudi & Maxime's wedding.

Anyway, hot chocolate and an early night. Hope the moto guy survived. I felt a bit funny about leaving. I paid him, and my neighbours are really nice people and I'm sure they'll sort it out. I think they called the police. They know where I am if they need a witness, but I think they were all quite glad when I left. Better off out of it so long as nobody's beating anybody up. It all calmed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment