Thursday 18 June 2009

Goods and Bads

Sula guarding my large pile of unwashed dishes.

Okay, so which gods have I angered?

Been a strange couple of days. Anger has been in the air (probably PMT) and amenities have been causing problems: still no water and, last Tuesday night, no electricity.

Stratoni, my guard, took FRW 1,000 to run to the bottom of the hill and collect water: three huge jerrycans, only he only seems to have brought back two. Clothes and dishes got done though, which is a huge relief, and I was finally able to have a wash.

Threw the used water down the loo to flush it, but the basin is a really bad design and it seems to require more water than most toilets. It's really starting to smell in the dry season heat and it's an en suite, which is unpleasant. I'm going to keep using bath water to flush that one and start using the other toilet at the end of the corridor. At least the smell won't reach me. I'm all for J's design of a bowl over a pit latrine - much more sanitary.

Starting to ration tea and drinking water. There hasn't been rain in days and it's having a serious impact on the water situation. Don't want to pay Stratoni to collect it as well as paying the monthly water bill.

Went to the Post Office the other day and received loads of goodies from home: chocolate caramel coffee, marmite, cuppa soup, and DVDs (however Dad's choice in films, although very good, tend to be on the slightly depressing side - more comedy please!).

I almost had a massive row with one of the sleazy change guys outside. I hate going to the Post Office in Kigali because, although the people who work there are absolutely lovely (I arrived late, they'd closed, but the guy opened up just for me) there's always a crowd of pain-in-the-arse men trying to get you to exchange money with them. I don't mind that they are there, but it's the hassle they dish out to anyone - especially white women - going to the Post Office. Last time one almost caused a moto accident by charging up to me before my moto had stopped. This time some two-penny gangster attitude guy came up with the sleazy line 'hey beautiful' and when I didn't respond well to it he went on a rant about 'white people'. It's just really annoying when all you go there for is to get your post. I think half of them aren't supposed to be there anyway. It would be really nice if the Post Office had a guard or something just to stop them harassing people, they really lay it on thick.

So, I was feeling a bit aggy the past couple of days. I hate water shortages, although I'd much rather have a water shortage than an electrical one. I can cope with being stinky, I don't cope with being bored so well. It's nice to be able to log on and rant about it. Although, if you were going to completely run out of something, I'd reverse that decision.

I'm just annoyed at myself really for not having the foresight to fill my own jerrycans when I did have water. I was lulled into a false sense of security, thinking the tank out back was some magical contraption that never ran out.

On the up-side, Jo's house is just over the road and Pierre's brother is looking after it. They have a hot water maker on the shower head, and I've been told I can go over any time I like. I may do that on Saturday before Steve's birthday party and get myself all luxuriated.

Last night was a lot of fun, however. It was the Queen's birthday bash at the British Embassy and the free wine did flow. Loads of VSOs were there and we had a right good boogie after the band got over their appalling Blue Grass phase and on to the Bob Marley.

Then we adjourned to Havana/Kabana (never remember which they re-named it) over the road, which is a nice atmosphere but utterly disgusting prices that just keep going up without warning. Had a really nice time nattering to Amanda, Steve, and a few others. Ended up being the last one there with Steve, Nidhi and Bruce, but it was an early night as it was a work night. I was home in bed by 11pm.

Also had a chance encounter with S from the Aegis Trust, who run Gisozi and Murambi memorial centres. He's looking to put a team together to fundraise and set up microfinance projects. He's going to send me the information apparently, so fingers crossed - may be a job coming up.

I'm veging out today and working from home, still trying to track down a Kenyan Sign Language Curriculum Consultant, but no one seems forthcoming.

Not worrying just yet, though. I have marmite sandwiches and caramel-flavoured coffee :)

Writing’s coming along, too. 65,000 words, 162 pages. Just need another 35,000 and it’s technically a novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment