Saturday 21 April 2007

Slow Bleeder

Went to give blood yesterday and got a right moody-arsed nurse. She accidentally prepped the wrong arm but then she didn't say a word to me until halfway through, when she started huffing and puffing and said 'Are you always such a slow bleeder?' 

Ermn...'sorry'? I felt like saying 'there's not a lot I can do about that.' It was like having constipation when there's a queue outside for the bog. Jeez.

I was talking to Heulwen (my landlady) about this when I got back. There have been a number of times I’ve been to give blood and found the people to be humourless, and the set-up intimidating. Yet they're crying out for more donors. If that'd been my first time, I probably wouldn't have gone back.

Thankfully, I finally made it onto the bone marrow register this time round. The first time, they wouldn't let me because it was my first time giving in Wales, even though I’d donated five times in England. The second, they lost the labels for the sample tubes!

Heulwen can't give blood because she's had cancer in the past. She's quite upset about that because she used to enjoy donating. I've often not been able to donate because I’ve been between piercings, but my ban has always been temporary and understandable. However, we both had a rant about the ban on gay men donating, which appears solely to be based on prejudice - the belief that gay men are out to donate infected blood as a way of hitting back at an overbearing, straight NHS...err, obviously. 

I had a friend at uni who wanted to donate but couldn't because he was gay, even though he was as safe with his relationships as any of us are. He thought about lying, but felt if they were that against taking his blood it wasn't worth pretending to be something he wasn't just to help someone.

Heulwen and I came up with the idea that all people, regardless of whether they are gay, straight, or rehabilitated drug users, should have to take a 3-yearly blood check-up in order to donate. The logic behind this is that it doesn't stereotype anybody, or rule them out on grounds of prejudice. Plus, it would prevent people from donating blood just to get a check-up. 

You'd need to have confidential drop-in centres for people to get their Certificate of Blood Health though, because if you go to your GP and ask for an HIV test it can push up your insurance premiums, even if you don't test positive! Simply asking for an HIV test is, apparently, a sign that you have a more risky lifestyle. But then you'd have this certificate, which most donors wouldn't mind getting anyway as they already know their blood is going to be tested. So, anyone who wants to donate blood and is healthy can do so... I can't help wondering if I’m overlooking something more complex here?

In return for the extra donors, donation centres should have a 'smile' policy when taking your blood, and a meet-and-greet at the door, rather than leaving you to walk around in circles looking for a pen and the right sheet of paper to fill out. Grrr.

But, still, it's a worthwhile thing to do. I feel I’ve done my civic duty for another six months... or until my next piercing...

No comments:

Post a Comment