Tuesday 5 February 2008

Coffee & Cake

Ibitenge - Cloth

Just got back from town with Sue and Jo. Jo took me to see where you buy fabric, and to introduce me to André the tailor; where all the vols go to get their clothes made because he charges local prices and because he can cut Western designs.

The cloth shops are amazing. Hundreds of different African patterns, and some Indian cloths too. I've seen a few that I like. I'm going to look through online patterns, draw some designs, then go back and buy them. You buy in panels, between FRW6-8,000 for three panels (six metres?) roughly. Then André takes your measurements and makes whatever you want. From that amount of fabric you can get a couple of tops, a skirt or dress, and matching handbag! It costs between 2-4,000 for a skirt (£2-£4), much cheaper to get clothes made than to buy them.

Quite excited. I took a pair of trousers with me as the zip is broken, and left them with him.

Then we went to Bourbon for coffee, cake, and a really girlie chat. It was brilliant. Jo got a taxi home and, after standing in the rain for a bisi, Sue and I did the same, sharing the ride with two others. It's been raining all evening.

I've arranged with Jo to go and pick up my kitten on Saturday or Sunday - did I blog about this? I swung by Ndoli's to pick up some tuna and look for a litter tray. Sooo excited. Will blog more about her when she arrives, but she's the only girl, and the only black one in the litter - and she's mine! :)))))))))

*does happy dance*

No comments:

Post a Comment