Friday 1 February 2008

1Mil Mansion

Republika

Oh my god...

I did go out last night. I was on the borderline, but thought I could either stay in and feel pants or go and feel pants with someone else. Dad called and we had a good chat, which was uplifting.

Then Drew picked me up!

Let me explain. He works for an organisation involved in AIDS prevention, but he's employed by the American Government. I knew he was on a good wage. I had no idea.

So, he and his chauffeur roll up in a very plush 4x4 and we take a slow drive through the back roads (behind my office actually!) to his ‘new local’. I thought he meant a pub. 

He meant his house.

He’s just moved out of the Mille Collines into a place literally opposite a bar called Republika. We arrived and the gates were opened. We drove down the curving driveway to this biiiiig house on the side of the hill, overlooking Kigali. It’s very swanky. A £1,000 (FRW 1mil) a month party pad lol

I was disgusted but faintly seduced ;)

We chilled out there and had a few beers on the terrace, then poddled up the road to India Khazana. There are two Indians in Kigali: Ice & Spice, and this one. I&S is the cheap and cheerful, this is the posh one. I’d heard people rave about it, but not been.

India Khazana is out of this world. There is a waterfall running along one side of the covered outdoor seating area. Twinkly lights and waiters dressed in fetching uniforms. The service is impeccable – smiles, ‘how are yous’ and very quick food. Little candle trays for the dishes. It’s gorgeous.

The menu was amazing. They even had mali kofta, my favourite dish from home! We ordered that, a masala, pilau rice and peshwari naan. We also got complimentary poppadoms, and dips with fresh vegetables. Dishes are around FRW 3,500-5,000, which is expensive, but the food is divine.

There were lots of people eating there - obviously a lot of muzungus. At one point all the lights went out and all the staff serenaded this little boy whose birthday it was, singing first in English, then Swahili. It was lovely.

So, I had a totally fabby meal in beautiful surroundings, then headed back for another beer. Took a moto home and slipped contentedly into bed.

Today is Heroes Day. It's a national holiday commemorating those who died during the battle to liberate Rwanda that ended the genocide. So, I got up lazily and just chilled out really. Took some rehydration salts and they’ve had a miraculous effect. I think I may have been a little dehydrated.

Opened Mam’s parcel: rubber gloves (oo-err!), earl grey (so I finished the last teabag from the batch I brought out with me) and a couple of hair scrunches – thanks Mum!

Finished Cassie’s chocolate, so I'm hoping there’s some more in the next two parcels. Will open one tomorrow and one on Sunday.

Aaaaaah. Feeling completely better now, and had a wicked night. Really glad I went out.

No comments:

Post a Comment