Monday 25 February 2008

Cyangugu

Argh. Got a text late yesterday evening telling me to go to Cyangugu today in the far South-West. To be specific, it said: 'Be at the office tomorrow morning (no time given) to go to Cyangugu (no duration given) to do research.'

So much for my planning preparation workshop. Also annoyingly short notice. I had a mad panic to get my spare keys to the office, so Jo can mind the cats, plus my guard is supposed to be paid tonight. Also had a Disability meeting on Friday that I wanted to attend.

So, texted Léon to try and find out some details. He said: be at office 9am - I assumed (making an ass out of U and of ME) that meant a planning meeting to discuss the trip. No. I paid FRW 500 to get there for naff all, only to be told a few of them had vaguely discussed it at 8am. There is no meeting, be back at the office with my bags for 12pm.

I hate wasting money on pointless journeys.

So, I went to VSO to drop off my keys for Jo. I ended up talking to Hannah for ages. She's frustrated to tears with her placement. She keeps being told to turn up to meeting on weekends that never happen, then gets completely ignored by her colleagues when they do.

Oh, well. Made me feel better at least.

So, I'm just doing a mad pack. Off to Cyangugu for four days, apparently. Should certainly be interesting. I'm curious to see the place but dreading what the accommodation might be like. I have images of a mud bed next to a pit latrine. I'm taking enough cash to book myself into a guest house if needed - if there's one still standing after the earthquakes. It's incredibly close to the epicentre, so let's hope there's no more tremors whilst I'm down there.

Wish me luck. I'll blog again when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment