Thursday 16 April 2009

Gisozi Attacked Again


Slightly unbelievable. The verdict on last year was a 'disgruntled policeman'. One wouldn't have thought there would be so many around, but at least no fatalities this year.

In other news, very upsetting e-mail came around today that Shelina (previous volunteer) was involved in an horrific car crash along with four other volunteers in Sierra Leone. She was flown to the UK for emergency treatment and facial reconstruction but is now back in Canada recovering. Absolutely awful and I'm trying to find out who the others were as I may have met them over Christmas when I was out there.

In home news, either MTN has died a death or my computer is shagged. It's staying connected for about 30 seconds at a time now and spouting error messages all over the place. I thought maybe something was wrong with my laptop but I asked colleagues yesterday and they've all said that their MTN connections have been doing the same thing. It's been going on for days now and MTN has been totally shagged for months. It's extremely frustrating, but at least I don't have any pressing business to conduct. Must be screwing businesses over. Think BCR must be using MTN because a friend was trying to use the bank yesterday to withdraw money. Stunning as BCR's customer services always are, they didn't bother to put a sign up, so she queued for half-an-hour to be told 'sorry, we can't accept any signatures today.' You have to cash a cheque to take money out and because of network problems (my money's on MTN) they couldn't connect to the Novatel branch to check against customers' information.

D's not back from Uganda yet. He was supposed to be here Tuesday, now Thursday. Probably be tomorrow. We're planning a back-to-back Lord of the Rings fest if he makes it (probably an incentive to stay in Kampala really ;)).

Feeling quite bored at the moment. Everyone's away (Cathryn, Hirut, Brad, D) or busy, so nobody to go play with and I can't even brows the internet. Getting cabin fever. Did go for a wee drink with Sarah, one of the new vols, last night and her housemate Christiane who used to live in my house. Sarah cooked me curry which was wonderful - proper home-made grub, then a beer at Chez Lando where her friend is staying for a couple of weeks. Was nice.

Finally got the house feeling homey, though the neighbours are still noisy and I need to hire a domestic.

Foot's doing a lot better, pretty much sorted I think.

So... that's about it really. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment