Saturday 20 October 2007

Bourton-on-the-Water

Went to Bourton-on-the-Water with Dad and M today. Sill quite busy despite the chill in the air. It’s a beautiful village with the river Windrush flowing through it (well, more of a stream) and lots of quaint little shops like Christmas Corner and Small Talk’s café. They have a wonderful sweet shop there called Sweet Memory’s which has jars of every kind of sweet you can image. I treated myself to a selection including red liquorice, candy cigarettes, and a walnut whip. It reminded me of one at Woodman Point in West Australia, a 'traditional English sweet shop' called English Candy... yuuuurs ;)

Ended with tea cakes and a pot of Earl Grey - very English. I’m trying to soak up the last of everything quintessentially rural in the next two weeks. It’s my favourite time of the year, autumn, so I’m going to miss it. I like the dark nights, frosted lawns and sharp blue skies. Don’t think I’ll be seeing much of this in Rwanda, hey-ho.

[NB 2013: Just in case you didn't get that - 'Candy' is an American word. In the UK we say 'Sweets'. You'd never see a traditional English Candy Shop. Then again, Australia is a heady mix of British and American influences. Perhaps that was the point?]

No comments:

Post a Comment