Thursday 11 October 2007

Mefloquine and Trees

Started trialing the antimalarial prophylactic Mefloquine on Wednesday. It’s my favoured option because you only have to take it weekly. However, amongst the listed side effects are: crazy dreams, hallucinations, depression, seizures and suicide! Good stuff lol

If you’re going to react badly, apparently it usually happens within the first three doses. I’ve got just enough time to get those in and change to doxy, if I need to, before I leave.

So far it hasn’t been too bad. Psychologically I’m sound, but I have been finding it really hard to get to sleep, and waking up at random times with crazy dreams. I don’t mind the dreams, though. I love dreaming, so bring it on. But I feel like I could do with a bit more sleep. Also, occasional hot flushes, but they seem to be minor and rare. Hopefully this will subside as I get used to taking it. If not, I’ll consider changing to the daily doxy.

On Saturday I went to Bristol to do a final dread job for the girlfriend of the guy whose natural dreads I separated out back in June. Was a long day, but they did look good at the end.

This meant I was a bit shattered Sunday, so had a chilled-out morning then went to Westonbirt Arboretum with Dad and M in the afternoon. Was really busy, lots of people going to see the colours changing on the trees, but was very pretty.



After that, we went to Tetbury a couple of miles up the road for tea, then looked around their church, which has some spectacular stained glass windows and stone carvings. One of a man found under the church dated c.1211!






Another pretty interrupted night’s sleep last night. Just getting ready to head off back to Harborne Hall for my final round of training: SKWID (Skills for Working in Development) and a Health & Safety workshop. Should be back late Friday or early Saturday. Not totally thrilled at going back feeling this tired, as they’re long days, but it’s the last push and should be useful and more specific to my placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment