Saturday 31 January 2009

Roll on the Weekend

'Poor' Kiyovu


I was so determined to have a quiet night in on Thursday but, just as I was slobbing out and wondering which movie to watch, I got a call from a guy called Chris W, who had met Meg, a previous VSO and friend of Lies', who had given him my number. He had some questions about setting up an NGO in Rwanda, so I took a moto to Hotel Iris in Kiyovu and we went to Republika to discuss it. He's been to Rwanda three times in the past year as he became involved in an orphans project and was out to check the finances. There were some concerns they were getting double funding for the same project.

Really lovely guy, also going through VSO clearance at the moment. We had a good natter. My advice was not to try and set up a local NGO to control finances if there were suspicions about where the money's going. The last thing you want is your name on a board of trustees when you're not in the country to personally keep your eye on things. If it goes wrong, you're still liable even if you weren't on the continent at the time. It didn't seem like a sound solution to the problem, so we talked a bit more about it and he'll know more once he's been to visit them.

We also met the owner of Republika, a lovely woman called Solange (I think) who gave us free drinks on the house. Chris paid for the meal, so I was rather treated that night! :)

Sat through an all-day meeting at VSO today. It was an extremely long day. Augustin was supposed to go and I was supposed to carry on with the dictionary but, in the morning, he texted to say he was going to Kampala. Goret was there and, thankfully, they'd also booked Betty to interpret, so at least I didn't have to do that. In the lunch break I hopped a moto to town to pick up a package from Dad, go to the bank, and buy two tickets for Butare, before rushing back again.

Also got some films from a friend of mine who's a film maker in Australia, and from Deafinitely Theatre, a Deaf thetare company in the UK, who sent me four films they've made, which I can't wait to take into the office. I think my colleagues will be fascinated :)

Was so relieved once the meeting was finished. It was a discussion on whether to apply for EC funding again. More VSOs than partners. Didn't really go massively far conversation-wise. Would have preferred to be in the office.

Afterwards, myself, Martine, and four of the new vols went for drinks at High Noon behind Chez Lando, and Cathryn joined us. Then I headed off with Cathryn to Stella, where she was meeting J, and we carried on for a bit. Paula, Christina and Sonya were also there, so it was a good night, but I was shattered by the end. Came home and flopped into bed. It was wonderful not to have to set my alarm and just to laze in bed all morning.

Today, I'm off down to Butare for Tiga's birthday, but not leaving until a sensible time: half-three. Going down with Cathryn. Bought our tickets yesterday as it's umuganda today so it would have been harder. Looking forward to it. Decided to get out of town more now.

Monday is possibly a public holiday for Heroes' Day, which would be nice, but I may still work it as we're right on the deadline for the publisher. Quite excited now :)

Yay for weekends.

[NB 2013: Follow that link under the photo to learn more about poor Kiyovu. It was one of the areas of Kigali split into extremely rich and extremely poor. Plans to demolish the poor half were already underway by the time I left.]

No comments:

Post a Comment