Thursday 2 July 2009

Pants (Yes MTN Again!)


Last post of the day. Yet another special dedication (there have been several, like this one and this one) going out to MTN Rwanda who are so horrifically crap they really should be paying people to use their services, not the other way around.

Before, I used to pay a flat rate of FRW 20,000 per month for internet on a shoddy little USB dial-up that moved about as fast as a snail on valium. Extortionate money for something so outdated, but think that was bad? You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

Today was the first switch over to their new pay for up/down-load quantity. Absolutely no marketing or customer services what so ever (why break the habit?). If a friend hadn’t told me, I’d never have known how to switch my settings over.

In maybe two hours I have already burned through FRW 1,500 in credit. That means that in just over thirteen hours of internet time, I will have spent what it used to take me 674 hours to get through. Definitely time to sell the modem and switch providers.

What hacks me off even more is that, when I check my balance, I’ve apparently got a FRW 1,200 bonus and an SMS balance of FRW 3,582. I have absolutely no idea what that means but it’s impossible to transfer that money into internet air time.

To add insult to injury, you have no idea whether the connection is just so crap it’s not working or whether you’ve run out of credit. The only way to check is to take the SIM card out of the modem, take the battery and SIM card out of your phone, put the modem SIM card and battery back in your phone, wait for it to load, then dial the number to check your balance. After that you have to take everything apart again to put it back in the modem. Twice I’d run out of credit, once it was just their network being its usual pile of arse.

Congratulations MTN Rwanda. You are, without a doubt, the lowest of the low on customer services, value for money, and general intelligence. Pat yourselves on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment