Sunday 17 June 2007

Marj

Farrington's Farm Shop


Just got back from a brilliant weekend in Stratton-on-the-Foss, Somerset, visiting Marj, who is Dad's partner's mum. Was really good and thoroughly relaxing. Nice escape from the trauma of dissertation. Went down on the Friday evening and we got Chinese take-out. Weather was a bit crazy though - been tipping it down, huge flooding in Birmingham. Drove under a double rainbow after the bridge - one end was illuminating the power station to the South. I thought 'hmm, there ain't no crock of gold under that - perhaps some Leprechauns though.' ;)

Arrived under very dramatic skies, but it cheered up on Saturday and we took Marj for a drive about. Started at Farrington’s for the traditional vegy fry-up and a little shop. Then went to Weston-Super-Mare and took the miniature trains down the seafront. I went for a walk out on the beach. The tide was miles out, but I thought I’d try walking to it until I got part-way out and realised the sand turned to mud! Really deep squelchy mud! So I gingerly made my way back, trying not to slip over, and dug for enough water to wash my feet. Interesting. Hundreds of those sand worms.

Then we went for a drive to Cadbury's garden centre, which is this huge place selling just about every plant and animal you could think of. They had quite a few snakes, and I got a bit nostalgic about Neidr, but in a way it's good she found her freedom as I’m skipping the country.

I bought a couple of poetry books. One of them is phenomenal, it's called The Penguin of Death. Seriously good. Short, but profound.

We drove back to Stratton and dropped Marj off as she was a bit tired after all the travelling. Then we headed out to find food, and came across a fantastic little local called the Oakhill Inn. It was amazing - real traditional local with some brilliant guest ales, friendly regulars and staff, and an entire full-page menu of vegetarian and vegan food! Was an excellent meal. Highly recommend it to anyone passing that way!

This morning we indulged in another Farrington's breaky, then we said our goodbyes and I headed back home with a punnet full of fresh Cheddar strawberries.

Good weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment