Wednesday 5 September 2007

To The Things I Like

Here's a post to the things I like.

These are the things that have kept me sane during my dissertation. They're a bunch of totally random odds and sods and I felt they deserved a mention. Some you may like, others you may think 'wot!?' and bits you might decide I’ve totally lost all sense of taste. But, here we go. The things I have been wasting my time on over the past four months. Some of these links will probably pack-up over time so enjoy whilst you can!

Pizzicato Five - or rather their song Baby Love Child, which I have had on repeat since tracking it down. It originally caught my attention when it was used as the emotional backing music to Leela discovering who her parents were in Futurama. The video's not so hot but the song rocks.

Another song that I haven't been able to turn off is Captain Coull's Parrot by the Peatbog Faeries. From the album Faerie Stories. I have no idea why, but it does something to me. Soothing, I guess?

Regarding music videos, they have been a staple part of my creative distractions. I have been a bit of a YouTube whore. Ultimately, I’m afraid, I haven't been able to take my eyes off Rihanna. Hey, it's an artistic video...

Also on my list of amusing videos was an amateur music one put together with clips from Tipping the Velvet to a song by a duo called Tegan & Sarah. Hats off to the editor, it's a sterling job. The song rocks, as does Keeley Hawes. Changing the mood slightly, however, the second one is called In My Burberry, a p!ss-take of the Chav epidemic. Kept me chuckling.

Moving on to my dirty li'le secret. I've been house-bound for the past three weeks sorting out the essay, and I was in the kitchen one Saturday night making a bite when I turned on my landlady's TV and caught an episode of X-Factor.

Yurs. I'm sorry to say this, but for the first time in over a year I deliberately went downstairs to watch something on the television last weekend! I'm afraid I appear to be hooked. Tragic isn't it? After ditching TV way back when because of the reality TV overload, I now find myself watching a talent competition. A couple of the contestants really gave me that feel-good factor, with some interesting stories behind them: Ryan and Nicky are two such cases - I love a story of providence.

What is slightly disturbing is that I'm actually quite fascinated by Simon Cowell. I watched his This is Your Life roll (one, two, three, four and five), his appearance on Top Gear, an American interview and then this very sweet if slightly disturbing clip from Britain’s Got Talent (which I haven't seen - just following the links) and I have come to the conclusion that he's a very interesting blokey. Fascinating to watch, even if the put-downs get a bit repetitive (I imagine it's hard to invent new ones with so many people?). It bothers me a lot that this one is in Cardiff - I pray I never bump into her on the street!

Anyway, moving away from telly. From first sitting down to write the introduction to my dissertation, I've been giving rein to sweet imagination, writing a number of stories and scripts. It prompted me to finally edit my stage play The Portrait Painter's Daughter, write a 16,500 word Pitch Black fan-based continuation story, several more poems and, most importantly, it got me going on Celtx. The most phenomenal free formatting software for film scripts, which comes complete with a community project base and forum. So, I’ve started a number of scripts, most still in production, but watch this space.

I've also been reading here and there, mostly Rwanda-related books, but the reading has dropped off in favour of the writing recently.

I've also been watching a lot of movies through Tesco DVD rental - used to be about three a week. Most notable (the ones I then had to buy) were Pride & Prejudice (2005), In America, Take the Lead and MiorrorMask. The last one is quite a fun concept - a young girl who wants to run away from the circus and join real life :op

I've also re-discovered the joys of Mah-jong solitaire, which I hadn't played since I was a kid.

So, it's all been fairly entertaining. Hope some of the links you find amusing. Now I have all this time free again (well, I don't actually, loads to do - but no dissertation) I can't seem to think of anything to do lol

I shall leave you with this interesting thought on spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment