Monday 14 April 2008

Citizen M

Mud roads and rain don't mix.

I picked up my green card today. I am now officially a citizen of Rwanda :)

Pretty cool feeling.

Got stuck on a moto in an absolute downpour on the way back to the office. I was supposed to meet my boss at 3pm but, due to the rain, he rearranged for Wednesday. No one goes out if it's raining here. I got home soaking and shivering, but my boss seems dead chuffed about the computer courses and he's approved my leave for Kampala.  He even suggested I can take part of it for work if I pop into the interpreting school whilst I'm there. Sounds like a good deal.

Kits have all got the squits at the moment. They had some kind of reaction to something and I've been mopping the floor every morning for about a week. The house had a thorough clean today, though. My new domestic's first day. The kid is utterly amazing, and so sweet. Eternally grateful to have him, although it's still a bit weird having someone wandering about your house and moving things. He dug up the avocado tree I planted when I first got here, but the garden does look amazing. Ahwell.

The weather here is utterly pants at the moment - cold and wet. The Minister declared the last official day of mourning on Sunday, so today wasn't another bank holiday. You never find out 'til the day itself.

Things ticking over nicely, but feeling a bit tired at the moment. Spending tomorrow polishing-up my presentation for Thursday. I'm not yet nervous as I haven't had much time to think about it, but it should be fun. Martine's also giving a presentation so hopefully we'll get fed and have a catch-up. I Was over in Nyamirambo again the other night. The new short-term volunteer, Viv, has just moved in with Martine, and is lovely. It's always nice to get over that side of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment