Wednesday 16 April 2008

Deaf-initely a Coincidence

Weeeeeiiird.

Went to Bourbon to meet Paula and Kirsty for a catch-up. Halfway through, we're waiting for coffee, when I notice three people signing... BSL!

Wooow! I have to go say 'Hi' - so I did. It just got weirder from there. One hearing Christian Minister called Hazel, a very nice lady who lives in Remera (up the road from me), a hearing signer called Ruth, and a Deaf lady called Susan.

"Where are you from?" I ask Susan.

"Wales."

"Really? Where?"

"Neath."

Nooooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaayyyyy... I used to frequent the Deaf Club there! Weird or what?

They're visiting Hazel for the next couple of weeks, so I've arranged to meet them on Friday at the office to introduce them to some people, and the Deaf Church. Totally random.

I found it really hard to sign, though! It keeps coming out as a horrible mixture of BSL/AKR! 

At one point I signed "Friday office deaf women meeting" - BSL, BSL, BSL, AKR, AKR. 




English translation: "tomorrow I'm kissing Deaf women at the office." 

The AKR for 'meeting' is BSL for 'kissing'. It was a real jumble :op

Then, sadly, I tracked down the tailor, André. Only, he's done a runner after not paying the bills. The trousers I dropped off a couple of months back have gone with him.

I texted Jo to tell her how peeved I was and she said not to worry, he'll resurface - he's her next door neighbour. So, you never know.

Going to look for a tailor in Kisimenti if I can find one. I can't be arsed trudging back and forth to mumuji all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment