Wednesday 16 April 2008

Dangerous Liaisons

Republika

Slapped wrists.

I went out for a drink last night with Roald 'eyes-meet-across-the-room, let-me-help-you-with-your-French-application-forms' guy from Immigration. I was supposed to be at Dinner Club with Alicia and Drew eating Ethiopian, but Drew had a work do and Alicia's on In-Country Training (ICT) all week, so we've moved to next week. I told Roald about it last week and he called to see if it was still on. When I said it wasn't, we agreed to go for a drink anyway, at Republika. I'd promised him a drink in gratitude for helping me get my green card application sorted.

He's a very easy-on-the-eye tall, sandy blond, stubbly, blue-eyed Dutch man. Bad move, huh? It was the cliché handsome stranger scenario, it really was. He's so full of energy, too. So much fun to talk to. We ordered sambaza (little fried fish with dip - speciality of Republika) and drank and talked, and drank, and maybe drank a little more. He's here as a researcher for a private sector investor, extracting minerals from the Congo. He's also got a side-line interest in fair trade tourism. Kind of a mismatched set of interests, but hey. Major background in ecology - essentially an ecologist.

We started drinking at 8pm and left the joint just gone 1am. By which time, we were the only people left and the temperature was rising fast. He walked me back down to the main road and invited me back; offered to sneak me into the monastery he's staying at! As tempting as it was to cop a peek up a monk's cassock, I decided that my curiosity was satisfied. Nice as he is, he ain't D, and D's gorgeous.

Sometimes you have to step out with someone fresh just to reaffirm where you're at. I was just craving a bit of spark. D's currently got a complete shut-down on mzungu social events at the moment. Since the other night when we went for dinner with Martine and Viv, then ended up with Drew at Republika and his oh-so-very-American ex-Peace Corps Cameroon buddies, discussing real estate for two hours. He just doesn't feel he fits into conversations, taking no comfort from the fact that neither did Christian, Drew's Rwandese friend. So, I don't pressure him anymore to come out with me... but I'm not sure that's sustainable. 

I went out with him and Steve the other day and got a bit narked because I was expected to pay for Steve's meal. Steve isn't the greatest conversationalist, either. I guess I was just a bit tired of checking everybody was 'fine'. I just wanted someone to match my energy levels. But, as nice a time as I had at Republika, I just wanted to go home afterwards and see my man. D may be oh-so-very-serious sometimes, and not such a great social bunny, but he's got something going on which is more delicious than sambaza and a bottle (or five) of Mutzig. So, no harm done, but sometimes you have to satisfy your curiosity.

I was home by about half-one and woke at seven, surprisingly groovy. I was coming down with a cold yesterday, snot and everything. Today, I was still buzzing from my energy fix and singing into my coffee. Met the IT teacher, Alain, and showed him the rooms just after eight. Brought him back for tea. He's a friend of D's too, from the studio. He said it's a good training room. All looks really set for Monday, so fingers crossed!

I've got my presentation for In-Country Training tomorrow. Panicking about that a little, and making more funky graphics with PowerPoint. Might go into town and see about getting a mushanana made for Léon's wedding. Also going to see Paula for coffee and have a girlie talk.

Kazai, our domestic, started on Monday and the kid is a god-send. He's utterly brilliant. FRW 20,000 a month - good for him, good for us.

The cats seem better now. They worked out how to get out of the garden today! I thought we'd lost Shue over the wall, but he found his way back. I always said that when they're old enough to find their own way out of the garden, they can go there. I want to get them some collars, though. Might improve their chances if people know they're not feral.

Beautiful View

No comments:

Post a Comment