Monday 16 June 2008

Sitball

Rwandan Sitball in Action

It was my first day back at work today - hacking away. Francois said I looked pale. Léon was quite worried about me and said that I'd lost weight. Isn't that a disgusting thing that, even though it's due to illness, I still took it as a compliment? Deary me, vanity un-fair.

Anyway, I think they're exaggerating. I don't notice any difference. I'm just bored of being ill now. Finished my second set of antibiotics yesterday morning, not a massive change. Certainly a bit perkier, but that could just be slipping into mania. The rattling cough is still going strong and the midnight asthma attacks. If I'm not significantly improved by the end of the week I might go back to the doctor's again. Third time lucky.

Anyway, ventured out of the house for the first time in a week on Saturday. I went to the Petit Stadium round the corner from my house. It's where the Rwandan Paralympic Committee were holding a sitball competition, which is basically volleyball at ground level. It's very energetic. A few members of the VSO Disability Partnership Committee were there. I was glad I went, but wasn't feeling so good. Martine had a hangover, so we left pretty early. I also saw the Deaf guy who pinched my phone. He looked a bit sheepish and fuddled something about not taking it. I just ignored him after that.

I also met a German girl, Katharina, who is here with a German aid agency. She's working for the Paralympic Committee and living just up the road. I've drawn her into the VSO social scene and hope to go to Salsa on Thursday.

Today was a relaxed day, thankfully. The two American students from Gallaudet came up to visit. I booked the room and the projector at VSO for Wednesday, when we hope to start approving the signs for the first AKR Dictionary of Sign Language. Very exciting.

Not much else to say, really. Still enjoying cooking with a proper hob. About to do it again tonight, this time vegetables, mince and pasta.

D and I had another row the other day. Well, basically he stood there and I rowed at him. This time for going to the shops and leaving the front and back doors unlocked... and for not buying toilet paper. I may have done my best impression of a dragon with a flea up its ass, but I have been well out of sorts lately. Anyway, things were pretty bad in the house after that - very uncomfortable. I guess I went away and thought about what I'd done and realised I was being a bit of a b!tch. So, I took a few deep breaths and tried to relax again.

Now things are pretty good. We're back to watching endless movies and chatting loads. Of course it's better this way, but it does make things complicated. At least when you blot someone out you know you're working towards a finale - i.e. I get my house back. The problem with everyone being best friends is that you start to falter a little bit. He is a very sweet guy at heart. It's hard to keep your resolve when things are good, but he still has to go eventually. Damn hormones. Can you get them extracted?

No comments:

Post a Comment