Sunday 4 October 2009

Movie People



Plug, plug, plug...

Forgot to mention I started writing for a blog called The Movie People set up by a friend in the US. Mixed bunch but main interests are scripting/production/direction. Largely the Celtx bunch.

[NB 2013: Celtx is still going strong, but unfortunately The Movie People folded.]

Sooo, last night...

*big grin spreading right across the screen*

Life is really good.

For the forth and final time, D and I are 'going steady'. To be fair though, I don't think there was anything steady about last night ;)

It was so good to see him again. After toe-curling fun we watched a film in bed with a bottle of wine, a pack of ciggies (I know, disgusting, but really, there's something very nice about smoking in bed after guma guma), a tin of Ugandan-style fried pork and ibirhy (I have no idea where he buys this but it's absolutely delicious), minus the clothes. It was soooo nice. Just like old times, only now I'm entangled in a giant ball of dreadlocks. Love it :op

He isn't seeing anyone else, the rumours were just rumours. Not that I’d have any right to complain if they weren't. But, bar work, the next three weeks are devoted solely to having fun.

Just hope that's enough, but can't think like that. Anyway, if it isn't enough, there are always things you can do. We could work it out if we wanted to. But that's a lot of future to think about and my mind doesn't stretch much beyond next week.

Actually, that's a lie. I've been trying to write up a list of things to do when I get back, so that I actually do have something to do. I'm a bit nervous. Having had my own house and such close friends for the past couple of years, to be going back is scary. Everything is here: house, friends, job, man. To lose it all so suddenly is a little unnerving. My friends in the UK are so scattered and I'll be moving between my parents' houses where I don't really know anyone anymore. I'm worried I'll find the lack of social life and the general hyperactive pace of the UK depressing.

I'm sure RES (Re-Entry Syndrome) will hit at some point, so I reckon it'll take a while to find my level, but thus far I've got a list of things that I can use to take my mind off the fact that I have no friends - well, something to distract me if I need distracting:

  1. CBT motorbike test. After all the motos here, I reckon it's about time I learned to drive one. Maybe I could come back, get a job with ASSETAMORWA and be the first muzungu moto driver in Rwanda :op
  2. Hassle publishers with material churned out in the past couple of years. Nothing like a rejection slip to make you feel wanted ;)
  3. Samhain in Scotland with friends weekend of 30th. If I can hijack a car it'll be good fun to remember how to drive it.
  4. Re-train. I've known for a long time now that I want out of the Disability Sector. I have a strange idea about what I'd like to do - but I'm keeping it under wraps until I've explored the options further. I literally had an epiphany on the back of a moto leaving Martine's the other night. Something leapt out and said 'try me!', so when I get back there's some people to talk to who can give me an idea of where to start.
  5. Sign up with the doc's and go get everything checked out so I have a clean bill of health. I'm particularly worried about the damage probably done to my liver and my gut ;)

[NB 2013: Out of that list, #1 never happened (it's so cold here in the UK, who wants to be on the back of a bike eight months of the year?); #2 worked out well for me, I have a few books published; #3 was excellent, but very cold - thankfully they had a hot tub; #4's idea was Trauma Therapy, but the length of training time is akin to becoming a doctor, I had neither the time nor the money and haven't retrained in anything, choosing instead to set up as an independent charity and development consultant; #5 was achieved and I'm still alive. As at November 2013, I'm a largely smoke, drink, and sex-free zone... whoda thunk it?]

I'm not going to over-fill the list in case I freak out and decide to shove my head under a duvet for a couple of months. Liquid milk, the speed of traffic, daylight length and drinking water from taps - those were probably the four things that freaked me out most on my visit. I still wasn't totally okay about liquid milk by the time I left ;)

Anyway. I'm prepping myself. Had a lovely chat with my programme manager the other day. There's a lot about this place I'm going to miss. Even my boss was gushing.

I'm ready, but can't believe how short three weeks is. Maybe hooking up with my fella is just going to complicate matters, but I'd rather get it wrong than regret not having tried.

So, off for coffee with Cathryn later, then meeting up with D. Probably spend most of next week writing my hand-over notes and liaising with Fina Bank and Nakumatt.

Hmm...

*Deep breath*

No comments:

Post a Comment