Wednesday 14 October 2009

Swine Flu?




Nice. Rwanda confirms its first six cases of Swine Flu (apparently originating from a family recently returned from the US) and I have a cold. Viciously sore throat, achy joints, hot flushes and snot. But it's just a head cold, I'm sure. Nothing Beechams won't cure - and is curing.

Was hoping to stave off illness until I got back, but it always hits when you have so much to do.

I've been really touched by people who read this blog and have contacted me with sympathy and understanding about the whole moving malarkey. One friend from uni, who has just moved to the Arab Emirates, and one to New Zealand. Nice to know people are reading and that some of my experiences resonate.

Got so much to do and feel too yuck to do them.

Ten days to go and still no flight confirmation. VSO ask for flight booking two months in advance, so they can get the cheapest flights, then leave it until two weeks before to put in the flight request!

So, the provisional flight details are: 24th October, 7:45 pm; Kigali - Brussels - Gatwick. Arriving UK 7am 25th October.

I'm bummed it's Brussels, as their entertainment system totally sucks. There was a Kenya flight but it's more expensive so I didn't get it. Kenya is much nicer than Brussels, except for Nairobi Airport. Oh well, either way gets me from here to there.

Would desperately like to know my luggage allowance as I've started packing already. Just bits and pieces. Not taking any major presents home this time, as I did that when I visited in August. Just coffee, tea, and waragi - personal supply :oI

Got to change the Single Parent Network's bank. EcoBank has queues out the door every time I go, and charges a FRW 1,000 monthly fee. Sod that. Fina Bank NGO accounts are totally free and the service is much better.

Going to meet up with Rose and see the shop. Excited about that. Bringing D on board as a replacement treasurer for me.

AfID (Accounting for International Development) are sending us an extremely experienced chartered accountant volunteer after Christmas to help sort out our books and train Rose in financial management. Most excellent :)

The Fina Bank/Co-Operative Bank funds issue is over to the Co-op Foreign Investigation Team at the moment. It appears to have nothing to do with Fina Bank or the account number error - seems SWIFT just decided to send the money somewhere completely different to Fina Bank's correspondence bank. As we were only asked to provide the final destination account details, we couldn't possibly be responsible for the money disappearing in Europe. We didn't even know it went through Europe. Good argument for SWIFT taking some responsibility for reclaiming the funds.

Meanwhile, I've briefed Moses, the new Deaf Association Project Coordinator, on everything I think he needs to know to keep the place ticking over. They should get a new volunteer in January, so he'll be prepped and ready to help them settle in.

Had my end of placement review yesterday with Amanda, Emillienne and all the Deaf Association staff. Went really well, and huge praise from my colleagues. Was a good meeting and they have come a long way.

Then Amanda and I dashed down to Kanombe Airport to wave off Lies and Kassim. Had a huge group-hug and I know Holy Jah Doves will be with them. Rastafari!

Was very emotional.

I've also just sold my spare bed and need to find a spanner to take it apart.

Having massive water issues. The mystery that is Rwanda: it's rained heavily every day since Thursday, and I have no water. Go figure.

In addition, some workmen came and messed around with the drains outside my gate for two days. Piles of mud everywhere. When they finished, my bathroom sink was completely blocked. I tried plunging it, but no joy. Then I noticed the mud was moving - loads of little leaches in my sink! Swimming about and crawling along the side. Breeding.

Lovely.

So, I'm back to paying for water deliveries for my last couple of weeks. Toilets stink again. Guard never shows up.

D's been brilliant. He found the guard, got him to do my washing (almost ran out of clothes) and is tracking down a spanner for me. He's a good guy. He's starting up a coffee/poetry/music night at the restaurant at the studio. Good stuff.

Essentially, the leaving mayhem has begun. I'll assume I don't have pig flu and continue to go about my daily business.

Ten days.

Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment