Wednesday 7 October 2009

Nom Nom Nommy Nom Nom




I've just had a lurvely night.

Last night D stayed over. We watched movies in bed with hot chocolate and snuggled up like two bugs in a rug.

Come morning, he left at around ten-to-seven - ouch! Painful! Morning people and night people probably aren't well matched, but then he's both a night person and a morning person. Essentially, I don't think he sleeps. Perhaps he's a vampire...

Anyway, I mumbled that the key was in the door but apparently my guard was going to let him out the gate. Embarrassing. My guard has currently stopped being my guard. He no longer sleeps outside my front door, but he does turn up at seven in the morning to sweep outside my window and sing very loudly.

Ermn. Anyway.

I couldn't get back to sleep, so got on with a day's work. Have a new interpreter in town called Moses. He rocks. He was here aaages ago and has finished studying in Uganda, so we now have two qualified Sign Language Interpreters in the country. Was fantastic to go to a meeting and see him in action. He's also taking over from Leon as the Project Co-Ordinator. Best of luck to him. I'm going to do a debrief on Monday, explain all that's been happening before I go.

[NB 2013: About a year or two later, Moses married a muzungu and now lives in the UK. As far as I know, Rwanda still only has one qualified interpreter... maybe less.]

But I don't want to think or talk about that just now. Still a couple of weeks left.

Tonight was special. I've never been to D's place. Mostly because he was usually living with me, or moving around loads.

He's now partially living with an ex school friend. He invited me over. I went tonight and met this guy he lives with, and another Ugandan - absolutely lovely guys. We drank beer and waragi and watched MTV Africa.

D had cooked specially and it was delicious. He's an amazing cook. He used to make a sort of spiced potato dish and this time he made rice, spiced cabbage, and umwijima (liver) with meat sauce. Wholesome African grub and, being Ugandan, it had amazing flavour you just never seem to get here.

I stuffed my face and we sat out back, talking. Then he paid my moto home and we smooched in the street under the lamplight lol

I love a man who can cook. Especially when he's mine.

Won't see him tomorrow. Promised to do Lies' hair, then going for a meal at New Cactus with her and programme Amanda as a wee pre-leaving do. Lies and Kassim are off next week, back to Belgium together, then maybe a contract in Burundi. She's been here around six years now. Came as a VSO originally, on the Disability Programme.

That's the thing, though. I can't predict the future, but I know Rwanda isn't ending. It'll always be here like the UK will always be there. I have a rent-free house and a job waiting for me here if I decide I want to come back. I'd make more money than on the dole, that's for sure. No overheads. It's just another place to call home.

I'm just looking at the UK as an extended break for the time being. A chance to re-group, pick a direction and go. I may never be back here, but I probably will. Too many friends with too many spare rooms. Wish I could have been here for Giudi's wedding, and wish I had more time with D, but when the shots are called you just gotta roll with it.

I can't believe I was so tearful coming here all that time ago. It's a great country. It really is. I've had my moans, but I would have in the UK too. There's nowhere I'd rather have moaned ;)

Rwanda rocks. I wouldn't take back those two years - with all its ups, downs, highs and lows - for anything. The people I've met, the friends I've made, the things I've seen, the places I've been and the everything. Thanks for putting up with me. Thanks VSO for giving me the opportunity. Thanks D for - well, for being you - adding spice to this blog, and thanks to my amazing friends without whom I would have nose-dived several times ;)

Hmm. Christ, it's like a bloody Oscar nomination. Screw that. I'm full of rice and sauce (and war gin) and I neeeed sleeeep.

Merry meet, merry eat, merry back to bed and sleep x

No comments:

Post a Comment