Wednesday 16 January 2008

A Question of Interpretation


Had another productive day today. Went to VSO to download a 71 page document that Augustin wanted me and Léon to read for a meeting tomorrow morning. Rather a lot to get through in such a short space, but some interesting information on HIV and AIDS. Nothing Deaf-specific, though.

I took it, via flash disk, into the office and also took a look at the American Embassy Self-Help funding form with Francois. They fund between 3-5mil FRW (around £3-5,000) on sustainable ‘community projects’ that aren’t religious, recreational, or cultural, and don’t require ‘high-tec’ equipment like a computer.

So, not much really. We’ve been racking our brains all day and have almost come up with a project to do with printing information leaflets... possibly. I’m going to work on it tomorrow from home.

Francois said there’s another funding form for more money on the theme of ‘Democracy & Human Rights.’ For want of anything better to do, I decided to head into town and go back to the American Embassy for it. I thought, whilst I was there, I’d swing past the Centre for AIDS Prevention to ask whether they’d be willing to fund the AKR interpreter for the meeting tomorrow, so that Deaf colleagues can participate.

I went to the Centre first as it’s en route to the American Embassy. I managed to find the offices easy enough, but I wasn’t sure what to do when I got there. Thankfully, just as I was arriving, a lovely American guy called Andrew stepped into the corridor. He’s working there on a Monitoring and Evaluation project, and was really helpful.

Unfortunately, the reply was that we weren’t needed as an organisation tomorrow. This is because Bernard, head of the handicap umbrella organisation, is representing disability and, besides, it’s too late to put interpreting in the budget.

Okay, so why bother e-mailing us an invite then? 

Stank of discriminatory exclusion on the grounds of language, that. But, there we are then. To be honest, having glanced at the report, there was nothing to be added by us anyway. It was just a bit of a shame, really. Worse than that, I was told that only the heads of organisation/key people had been invited, so why did we need an interpreter? Meaning, obviously, Deaf people can’t hold key positions in their organisation?

I didn’t say a word. I just smiled politely and left. It was so good to have Andrew there, though. He’d worked for Peace Corps (sort of American VSO) before and understood the problems. He also translated for me into French, which was a life saver. As he was headed up to the same end of town, he walked me to the Embassy. We had a good chat on the way. He’s currently stop-gapping at the Mille Collines and there’s live music there twice a week. I’m going to meet up with him for a drink and introduce him to the other vols around town. He’s a bit isolated, not being with an organisation. Funny how you meet people.

Didn’t have much better luck at the Embassy. They couldn’t find the form, so they took my e-mail address and promised to send it over (which they have!). However, I really impressed the guards who gave me huge warm smiles when I thanked them in Kinya and told them (also in Kinya) that I'd like to learn it - which I've been repeating for the past two months now, but it still seems to work ;)

I’d achieved a lot in all, and was dead hungry by that point. I've been living off samosas, bananas and peanuts the past couple of days. I treated myself at Bourbon to a chicken and avocado panini and an apple juice. I felt disgustingly bad about myself, surrounded by all those muzungus and paying £3.30 for a meal, twice the price of a pub lunch where I live! Sounds ridiculous to you maybe, but it honestly took the enjoyment out of it all. I just don’t know anywhere else that I can get a sandwich. I felt full to bursting by the time I left – haven’t had a meal like that in a while.

I sloped off guiltily back to the office. Andrew agreed that one of the biggest gripes is the lack of street food here. You can't just pick up a snack. It makes life tough, the whole not eating business, but I’m just thankful I have the money to go and eat when the opportunity presents itself.

I took a bisi back to the office. No sooner had I stepped off when Gheert tooted me from across the road. He was on his way to the airport with a colleague to pick up some laptops that had been donated. They came up and saw my office briefly :) Also introduced them to Peterson, the guy downstairs in the shop who always makes me order in Kinya ;)

In the office, Parfait, Francois and Léon were joined by another guy, a very handsome gentleman called Chabel, who is an interpreter from Burundi. We had a really good chat about the state of sign languages and everything. It was brilliant. His English is also very good. Unfortunately, he’s going back to Burundi tomorrow, but he wants to go and have a look around Butare Deaf School, so I’ve taken his e-mail address to put him in contact with Antonia. Funny that, I really do need to go visit myself at some point ;)

Ooops, professionalism!

Anyhoo. All’s good here at the moment. Water’s running fine. Not much to report. Things are all falling into a nice mundane routine really.

No comments:

Post a Comment