Saturday 6 December 2008

National Volunteering


Sorry, I just had to share this graphic representation of Bob Marley's lyrics from the Crappy Graphs site. My friend, Nick Taylor, pointed it out and I thought it was rather funny :op

I went on a march yesterday. It was National Volunteering Day, an annual initiative to promote volunteering. It was fun, but not many people. In true African style it started about three hours late. Half the Korean volunteering lot were there, which was nice. They had the best stall :)

We marched from Nyabugogo market to a school nearby, bringing traffic to a halt, dressed in our T-shirts and caps. The German lot didn't last two minutes, they laid out their stall and were mobbed by the kids, who stole everything. We had a similar problem. The Koreans managed to manage it well. People just stole everything straight off the stalls, though.

Volunteer Amanda and I lasted until about one, then headed home. Really hot day. Luckily we got a random lift all the way back to Kisimenti! Amanda's great, she speaks fluent Swahili and very good Kinyarwanda. Things like that always seem to happen when she's around :)

Last Wednesday was an open sports day at NPC (National Paralympic Committee). Amanda had been staying with me and helping with the English translation on the dictionary, but left that day. I wandered over, and all the Deaf lot were there. It was an excellent day: blind football, Deaf volleyball, wheelchair basketball, and the Deaf women put on a dance display. Really good stuff, ended at two and I headed off to German Cat's house near where Ivana lives. She works for NPC and cooked me dinner. We sat chatting for aaaages, then I walked all the way home from Kacyiru, which was good for me.

Otherwise a really boring week. The dictionary is doing my head in. I can barely bring myself to look at it anymore, although about half the signs are now in English. Nobody's started the Kinyarwanda yet.

Can't believe it's only a couple of weeks now until Sierra Leone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment