Monday 28 May 2007

Sikh Wedding



This morning I was woken at about 9:20 by the sound of drumming and music outside. I opened my attic window and looked out. The entire street was awash with people and bright colours. I think it was a Sikh wedding.

There were two groups. At the front were a group of men all wearing orange turbans, with one man in the middle on a decorated white horse, holding a sword in his lap and wearing a headdress that covered his face like a veil - so he seemed blindfolded.

Behind were a group of women accompanied by a male, turbaned drummer and a trumpet player in a zoot hat looking very cool. All of the women wore brightly coloured saris, lots of decorative jewellery, and stopped every few paces to bhangra dance and make noise. It was a real delight to watch before they disappeared off round the corner. There is still bunting down the street from a wedding (I think Hindu) that took place last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment