Wednesday 2 May 2007

The Darndest Thing

Realised late last night that my moby wasn't in the house. After ringing it a number of times and checking everywhere I could think, I suddenly realised that I must have left it somewhere at uni.

I wasn't going in today but, as I was going to search for the phone anyway, I was hoping that I might run into a couple of my friends. There was a Forensics lecture in the afternoon that I thought I’d catch - make the trip worthwhile.

I got there and almost instinctively knew where my phone was. I'd been sitting under a tree reading a book the day before and using my phone to check the time, make sure I wasn't late for Sociolinguistics. I felt that's where it had to be.

So I wandered outside to the exact same tree where not only did I find the missing phone exactly where it had been yesterday, but I also found my two friends Hanna and Suzanne sitting on a bench right next to it. How bizarre!

I'm lucky like that, though. I once left my bag in the loos at Reading Festival and only realised about half an hour later. When I went back, the bag was still there with everything in it.

The flookiest was New Year's Eve in Sydney with Phil. We'd sat on a wall for a moment's rest with thousands of people thronging around us. It wasn't until we reached the station that I realised I’d let go of my bag. It had my money, bank card, everything in it. We turned around in a mad panic to go find it, when this police woman casually strolled towards us. 'Isn't that your bag?' Phil asked in astonishment.... So weird, it was like it'd come to find me.

So, phone rescued and none the worse for its night under the stars. Unlike the last one I took on outdoor pursuits, again in Australia, where I left it in a bowl in the canopy/living area of the tent, but too close to the edge. It rained in the night and the bowl filled up with water! Ooops :)

No comments:

Post a Comment