Sunday 16 December 2007

American Club

American Club, Kigali

Yesterday was grand. Had a really chilled-out day, just pottering and doing my chores: tidying the kitchen and washing my clothes. Lovely hot, sunny day. In the evening Philip picked me up and we headed into town to the American Club, right opposite the Mille Colline/Hotel Rwanda. They were holding a pub quiz and fish & chip night, tickets for a fiver. Really good value, and the Deputy British Ambassador was reading the questions. There was a team from the British Embassy and one from the American Embassy at opposite ends of the covered garden lol

Along with a fish supper, we also received two free beers: big handled ale mugs of draft Mutzig. Jo and Sue (long-term volunteers on the disability team) were there with their Rwandan boyfriends Pierre and Eric. I'd like to hire Eric as my Kinyarwanda teacher, he’s already teaching Mel and he’s a really lovely bloke. Have to see if I can wangle some time from my employer to do that.

We didn’t win the quiz, but we won a prize for originality when Philip sang Oh I Do Like to be Beside the Seaside :op We all got a chocolate bar (yippeeee!) and an official American Embassy, Kigali mug lol

Was a very cool night. More muzungus in one room than I’ve seen since I’ve been here! Sue and I were speculating about who they all were, and what they do. There's a lot of Embassy staff, but also a lot of other people we didn’t recognise.

Today I’m just chilling-out. Probably going to wash the floors, when I can be bothered. Also borrowed Vanity Fair from the DVD library. Will watch that this evening at some point – the first person to borrow from the new library! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment