Friday 14 December 2007

Jim Henge

Back of Office

Forgot to mention, finally took some photos of the office :op


Entrance

Meeting Room One

Meeting Room Two
 
My Desk


Had a meeting at VSO this morning with Amanda and Martine, learning about the different types of money/funding available to the partner organisations. All very interesting and stuff to think about.

Stayed for some food. You can book in for dinner at VSO for about FRW 700 (70p) and it's generally wholesome and filling. Met up with Sue, who is starting a DVD library upstairs next to the book library. We have a really big selection of fiction and such like to keep the vols entertained, but a DVD library would be ace. If anyone's got any spares to send out, please do.

Also, quick note, Sue filled me in on some information: if you're sending stuff out, always put on the customs form on the back that the package is worth less than £5, otherwise they charge me a fortune this end!

Talking of mail, I got a package today from my friend Jim, who sent me a 'build your own miniature Stonehenge'! So, I have. I have named it Jim Henge and it sits on my shelf :op I'm thinking of adding it to The Modern Antiquarian website ;)

When I got back from the meeting, there was a knock on my gate and a little kid was standing there. He told me he was very hungry and held out his hand. I told him I wouldn't give him money but asked (in Kinyarwanda) whether he'd like a sandwich. He smiled and waited there whilst I brought him back a peanut butter one and a banana. He thanked me in French and went off to eat. Bless. My good deed for the week.

Still having guard issues. He keeps pestering me to give him money to buy household things, so that I'll then pay him to use them (like doing the gardening). Last night he even gave me a spiel about how the last person helped him with his provisional driving license and paid for him to do the exam. I think he was alluding to me paying for the final exam. I've been incredibly polite so far, but I am seriously getting to the end of my tether. If it continues, we are going to have to have a very serious discussion about this. He turned up last night stinking of booze. I'm stress managing by starting him later; usually guards start at 6pm but I'm starting him now at 8pm just because I'd rather he wasn't here to bother me. He said he thinks we'll be really good friends and that I'll be able to help him with things (like driving) - I think he's got another thing coming if he carries on the way he is.

But anyway. I have a pet :) I went into the larder last night and turned on the light - this absolutely gorgeous baby gecko, all translucent and bulgy-eyed, leapt out from behind the cupboard, realised he'd exposed himself, and darted back again. Soooo sweet. I'm happy to have him stay as he'll keep any cockroaches at bay. Just hope that doesn't mean there's an abundance of them behind my food cupboard! Heehee.

No comments:

Post a Comment