Monday 17 December 2007

Vegetable Garden & Christmas Shopping

Rwandan Gouda

Well, that's Monday again *sigh* Comes round so fast! Can't believe I've been here a month and a half already. Sue said I seemed like I'd been here a lot longer the other night, which was nice. Means I'm fitting in and setting down okay.

Had another nice, lazy Sunday. Washed my floors and, in the evening, snaffled the last of Dad's chocolate whilst watching Vanity Fair, which I borrowed from our brand-spanking-new DVD library. Bloody depressing film. But, hey ho, two bonuses: Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Gabriel Byrne... okay, so I have very eclectic taste in men.

This morning I passed through the VSO office and exchanged it for Defence of the Realm, another Gabriel Byrne movie. Going to make Sundays my film night. I have to pace myself so I don't run out of films to watch! (Please send us DVDs!)

I took a bisi/bus into work from the office, as it's a bit further in the wrong direction. It's also been blisteringly hot today! Even Rwandans are complaining.

Got quite a bit achieved today, too! Found out lots more about the project. Going to plan a couple of workshops as I think I can see a way to move things along a bit faster.

Bit annoyed as I took the money out to buy my new bed today but, when I got to the shop to pay for it, they upped the price back to FRW 100,000 again!! I couldn't believe it... well, I could. Feck 'em, to be honest. It's a nice bed but I'm bored now. Going to hijack Léon for an afternoon and go to Nyabugogo where I was going to get the mattress. Hopefully we can buy a bed and a mattress in one go *fingers crossed* And, because he'll be with me, they won't arse me about too much. Anyway, their loss, just blew off 80,000 today, plus delivery costs.

I very almost got upset about it then, just as quickly, it passed. I shrugged and hopped on a moto - which made me happy because, when I asked "Kisimenti, nangahe?" he tried 300. I shook my head confidently and said "maganabiri" (200). He smiled and raised his eyebrows to say 'gerron' - so I did lol 

I like getting a moto to my place because it's up a cobbled road - it's funny lol I never get one home from work, I always walk, but today was just way too hot. I would have burned, and I figured I deserved a treat for not caving in to the bed woman.

Then I went shopping and chatted to Geoffrey, the guy who runs the shop (Ndoli's) over the road that I buy my generals at. He's really sweet, always good to chat to. It makes me feel like a local now that I know the shop man and the man who sells me electricity and all that. Even met my next door neighbour the other day. He's a doctor at the local hospital, called Felix. Totally starting to settle in now.

Got followed home from the shops by a bunch of kids. Seemed nice enough. If they were asking me for money it was in a language I didn't understand, which I don't mind.

Did my Christmas shopping, too. Two packs of biscuits (one for the office, one for the Rastas) and two bags of Chocolate Eclairs for the volunteers. Total of about £5. Cheapest Christmas I've ever had.

Dad's birthday was even cheaper as I couldn't send him anything! :op (Sorry Dad!) but he and M were living it up in Madera. Disgusting. Bet they were drinking wine and all sorts....*sigh*

Also treated myself to some local cheese for my sandwiches. It's highly prized by vols. Many can't get it in their local shops, but Ndoli's sells whole ones for FRW 2,000! I just bought a quarter, which will keep me happy for a while.

So, yeah, good day. Starting my guard at 8pm has totally chilled me out, too. I can just potter 'til my heart's content.

Evicted the biggest cockroach in the world today! Martine calls them 'Freds,' and Mum woulda told me to charge it rent. Huge b*st*rd. I saw him in the bathroom last night but assumed he'd find his way out by today... He didn't. To be fair, it's the biggest and only giant bug I've seen since I've been here. Rwanda is blissfully bug free on the whole. My gecko must be slacking, though.

The peas I planted last week are now substantially taller. I was thinking about where I could get some beanpoles, but some big sticks seem to have fallen into my garden from a storm or something last night - they're perfect. My garlic is also reaching for the sky in an S Club Seven kind of way. Tonight I planted some aubergines. See how it goes. I'm taking it steady so's not to jinx anything, but so far so good. I will also plant green peppers, chillies, ginger and tomatoes if all goes according to plan. It's about a 12 month growing season here :op

No comments:

Post a Comment