Wednesday 26 December 2007

Boxing Day

Nyarutarama Pool
 
Lovely lazy Boxing Day. Philip called around one o'clock and we took a leisurely half-hour stroll in glorious sunshine down to the local Tennis Club at Nyarutarama.

They have a swimming pool there and you pay FRW 2,000 for a big fluffy towel and a swim. It's mainly the upper echelons of Rwandan society at the swimming pool. Firstly, because they can afford 2,000 for a swim, and, secondly, because they can swim. In Rwanda, a land-locked country, many people can't.

It's a nice atmosphere at the club and we had a lovely time in the pool and sun bathing on the grass. There were only muzungus there today. They have big cold water showers in the changing rooms, and I washed my hair. I changed in a cubical which had clear glass windows looking out across the pool - hmmm, not terribly convenient (well, maybe convenient for the blokes outside!) :op

Then we had lunch at the bar on a nice sunny terrace. Philip had spaghetti bolognese and I had a vegy burger with cheese and chips.

We took a stroll back and passed a woman on a beautiful horse! Muzungu, of course. I stopped to ask her if there was a public stable nearby. She laughed and explained that she was the only horsewoman in the whole of Rwanda. We passed her house a little further up. I assume it was her house as it had a high gate with a horse looking over it. What a shame - bit of a waste bringing my chaps then :(

But it was a wonderful way to recover from the excesses of Christmas. I spent the evening lounging around and early to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment