Sunday 23 December 2007

Water Cuts


Okay, so I’m a bit pissed off. Having a slightly grouchy day. I’ve got a slight stomach upset, nothing bad – probably a hang-over from the alcohol the other night. But the water has been off now for well over 24 hours - apparently sometimes it can disappear for up to three days - and it’s pissing me off because I can’t flush the loo and I have to ration the amount I drink. So, fewer cups of tea/coffee/juice. 

I did a stupid thing yesterday. I planted more vegetables, and watered them with one of my storage buckets. The other day the water was back on within 24 hours. I assumed (which makes an ass out of U and of me *sigh*) that this would be similar. So, now I have happy vegetables but only enough water left to have a wash in, which I won’t do until I have to go out somewhere, or unless the water comes back on. I’m fed up with it. Capital city of Rwanda and you can’t even get running water half the days in the week. *grumble, grumble, bitch, complain*

My internet has packed up. I think I’m going to have to go into town and try and get it fixed tomorrow. It's been off for two days now. I have done a lot of reading and writing in the meantime, though. Finished Pillars of the Earth, which was utterly outstanding. Now reading Tipping the Velvet. I loved the serialisation and always wanted to read the book. I found it in the VSO library. Still got a Gabriel Byrne film to watch (Defence of the Realm) so shouldn’t complain too much. I did just fine before internet but, having had it, it’s hard to lose it. It’s just a pain having to go all the way into town to sort it out. There’s an MTN branch round the corner, but they wouldn’t have a clue what to do with it.

To top it all off, I have a cockroach infestation. Last week I threw one out, then the other night I found another one! I chased it around the bathroom for a bit until it hid behind the loo. Last night I had this peculiar feeling I was being watched as I brushed my teeth. There were two of the bastards on my wall, and one in the corridor! We’re not just talking little dudes here, we’re talking massive red feckers. 

I have a plastic pint glass that I used to throw the first one out, and they barely fit in the circumference. What’s worse is that they move like lightning. They seem to have a sixth sense of what you’re about to do, so they’re almost impossible to catch. I really don’t think I can kill something – I have trouble swatting mosquitoes. More often than not I’ll just leave them alone, so long as they’re not biting me. But if I can’t catch these guys, I don’t see anything else for it than to spray. They are HUGE. About the length of my middle finger and twice the thickness of my thumb. If they were slow and didn’t protest at being thrown out, I wouldn’t mind so much, but my bathroom is small and there ain’t enough room for three of us.

So, yeah. I’m a bit miffed really. Cassie called the other night but the reception was terrible so it was only a brief chat. P!sses me off a bit that communications here are so temperamental, but at least they do exist, I guess. Still feel in weekend mode, like I’m going back to work tomorrow. I know I’d feel a thousand times better if the sodding water would just come on *sigh* Glad I did my washing Friday night instead of leaving it ‘til the weekend. I’m quietly hoping it’ll come back on this afternoon, but don’t want to jinx it. Think I’m going to have to buy yet another bucket to put emergency reserves in.

Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment