Sunday 30 December 2007

Pottering

Cup-cup
Rwandan Lawnmower

Just been pottering the past few days and lying in bed dozing. Thoroughly loving the time off.

Been for a couple of meals with Philip and his wife Fiona, who arrived a few days ago. Had brochettes with Craig and went to SoleLuna for pizza. That was a magical night as there was dry lightning in the distance over Kigali - really eerie and beautiful.


So, been eating out quite a bit this week.

Almost finished Tipping the Velvet, which I found in the VSO library. Really good read.

Internet’s been a bit temperamental. I regularly have to reinstall the software to get it to work but, importantly, it does work for the most part. Not worth going and frustrating myself with MTN over it just yet.

Still having guard issues. We agreed five or six hundred francs for cutting my lawn the other day. I went to pay him and he just demanded five thousand! That's almost a week's wages. Cheeky numpty. He said it was 'a very difficult lawn' - is he kidding!? It's tiny. Anyway, I paid him and explained that from now on he turns up, guards the house, and that's it - that's all I'm paying him to do. He said "Oh, I’ll just help you do-," "No, thank you Fabian, I can't afford your help. You're too expensive." So, next time the lawn needs cutting I'm going to have to try and do it myself with the cup-cup (or wharrever it's called) - long bent piece of metal you swing like a golf club.

Still not sure what's happening for New Year yet, but I think Paula's coming to Kigali tomorrow so we'll work it out then.

No comments:

Post a Comment