Tuesday 11 November 2008

Stirring the Pot

Rose Kabuye


Oh dear. In light of Rose Kabuye's arrest in Germany this week, there's been some disturbance in Kigali.

I only discovered this when inviting a friend out later for a drink. She was working anyway, but suggested caution in public areas. Apparently:

Seems that there's demonstration at German embassy (Kiyovu). We heard people shouting etc, but it seems under control. Yesterday, a Belgian woman who picked up her children at school got stuck in demonstration and people started throwing stones at her car...

[Belgian] Embassy said you can move around, but you have to be careful and avoid places where they demonstrate. And if you feel tension just leave the place and go home...

The British Embassy has not issued any warnings about the situation, saying the protests are calm, but VSO are reiterating the safety policy for Kigali volunteers to avoid large crowds and protests.

I think it may escalate early next week as I think they are planning to extradite her to France on the Monday, or thereabouts.

We should get emergency information from VSO if it comes to that, but it would be nice if people would e-mail me any general news updates as I don't have TV or a radio so, unless I directly witness something or someone else texts me, I don't tend to know.

Anyway. Been another pretty horrid day today. Despite paying the bill yesterday, Electrogaz still turned up this morning to discuss disconnecting me. When I showed them my receipt for the payment it took about 15 minutes to convince them, at which point they asked me to photocopy the receipt and take a copy to their office (the same office which printed it in the first place!) tomorrow. Like I have nothing better to do.

I lost it. No cool left. I may have pointed out, in raised voice, exactly how shite their service was, and six months of aggravation may just have boiled over.

They were last seen running for cover ;o/

I was *very* miffed.

Then I came back into the house and burst into tears.

It is definitely time to get out of Rwanda for a while. I can't wait until the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment