Wednesday 19 November 2008

Visas, Kivus and Knees-Up


Well, the blue mood continues to set in. Still finding it really hard to feel enthusiastic about much, but had a couple of good days.

Was a bit of a wobble over the visa for Sierra Leone. Found out I had to get one before going, and the nearest embassy is in Ethiopia :o/ It was that or DHL my passport to London.

Today, we've all been advised to stay in our homes due to protests going on nationally over the extradition or Rose Kabuye to France. Causing quite a bit of tension. So, I wasn't too thrilled about the idea of posting my passport out of the country.

But, thankfully, the person I'm going with is an SL national. She managed to contact family there, who have arranged for a landing visa, which I can pick up when I get there! Really kind, and solves the problem so I can still go :) Going to buy my ticket as soon as possible. Really can't wait. Something to look forward to. One of the new volunteers is going to be house-sitting for me and minding the cats whilst I'm away, which is fantastic. She's in a rural placement and wants to be in Kigali over Christmas as her sister might be visiting.

So, all good on the holiday front.

Things are still a bit slow with the placement, but hopefully the finances have now been sorted out and money is being transferred this week, so activities can resume.

Meanwhile, I held a big workshop for the arts organisation committee yesterday, which was utterly fantastic. About ten members of the committee turned up and we did an introduction to capacity building and funding. It was excellent, and people really seemed to enjoy it. I do love working with this organisation as they put so much into what they're doing.

So, got some real job satisfaction there. It was a long day, about four hours of training with lunch in between.

I've also had Eric, an Irish volunteer, staying. He's in Kigali for a bit and arrived Sunday night. It's been really nice having him around. Lifted my spirits, just hanging out and having a laugh.

After the training yesterday, Ruairí, one of the new volunteers, came over (Hi Ruairí! I know you're reading ;) x). Eric, Ruairi and I went to High Noon behind Chez Lando for a few bevvies. Then we headed to the Ethiopian for food... and some more bevvies. Then we ended up in La Planet to watch the rugby... and have some more bevvies. Then we walked Ruairí down the hill towards Sonatubes, as he's staying at Amani. Eric and I turned back up the hill towards home, where we passed a local bar still open... so we popped in for some last bevvies.

It was one of the most surreal nights of my life. Some very, err, unique characters there. I had to pretend Eric was my husband to deflect male (and female!) attention. A whirlwind romance but, by the time we got home, we decided to get a divorce ;) It was a most excellent night, but, oh my... drank rather too much lol. We've spent the day locked in the house recovering from ungodly hangovers most of the day lol

Feeling good for it. Back to the office tomorrow, dictionary isn't far off publication now.

Roll on Christmas.

[NB 2013: Heh. I remember this night very well. I was getting some attention, so Eric put his hand on my knee and the blokes backed off. At which point, a women - I think the landlady's daughter - came up behind, cupped my breasts in her hands, and asked Eric for a light whilst massaging them!]

No comments:

Post a Comment