Wednesday 26 November 2008

Annual Review


Went to a meeting at MINALOC yesterday to interpret for Gerard and Goret on the Social Inclusion Policy. Lot of long words, all very high-brow. It was a lot like back in the UK, and really good to get seen out and about so that people think about booking interpreters in the future.

Programme Manager Amanda was also there. She dropped me off back home after, where I had something to eat. Then I headed back to the office in time for a meeting with her at 2pm. My annual review, which was used to clarify my role next year in the organisation. Mostly, they want me to find funding and deliver English tuition. Neither of which I really want to be doing personally, but I can act as a facilitator to train them on fundraising, like the arts organisation I've been working with, and find English tutors... or something. I'm not feeling terribly enthusiastic still, but it'll pass. I think I just really need to get out of town for a while.

On the up-side, I have a date tonight with the guy from Alicia's leaving do. I texted my number and he said 'I'll call you after six.' He called at six-thirty. To anyone outside of Africa, this may sound like no big deal. It is a HUGE deal. Anytime the same day would have been acceptable lol Shows he has time-keeping, which is a major bonus :)

He's also got a job - another major bonus - and he's not pushy. He asked 'can we meet?' rather than the regular emphatic presumptive 'when *will* we meet?' So, see how it goes. We're meeting at Republika around 7:30/8:00, but I can't make it a late one. I have a full day interpreting on Friday for the PAC small grants committee. Should be a nice lunch, though.

Right, headed into the office to continue the dictionary translation, then dropping some Christmas gifts off at Rose's. She's off to Uganda on December 1st. I'm helping her out with the bus fare as she's taking her kids to see her grandma, who hasn't met the son yet (he turns one today!). When she gets back, she'll have a re-entry stamp on her papers so she can get Rwandan nationality (E was/is Rwandan) and hopefully this will help in finding work.

Then I'm coming home, getting dolled up, and dancing around the room for a couple of hours before heading out. That's if 1) I don't get stood up 2) no one has an overriding personal crisis and 3) the population doesn't decide to riot.

Groove on ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment