Wednesday 5 November 2008

Woop Woop Obama!


Huzah!

Went to quite a funny election-night bash last night. It was at Heaven restaurant, which I hadn't been to before.

It was a bit of a comedy of errors. Loads of people had turned up for the three-course meal, to watch election events unfold on the very big screen. The meal was FRW 10,000 (£10), which is a lot here.

The night before, I'd taken Vincent, my CouchSurfer, to Republika. He's a cool dude, and we had a really good night - including wine! Such a treat!

Giudi & Maxime, Cathryn, Anja & Coco all turned up, and Vincent came along. It was pretty packed. They managed to lose half the orders, so we waited for ages to get our starters, then again for the main meal, and then nobody on the table had received pudding. They just kept bringing up random plates of food and asking if they were ours.

It did get a bit silly. Then I found a hair in the pudding :o/ Ended up getting half our money back as a refund, and two large draft pints of Mutzig.So, not bad for a fiver lol

Not sure I'd eat there again. It's probably okay when there aren't so many people, but they'd advertised it as an election event so I would have hoped it'd be a bit more organised. Then again, the service was very friendly and it was all put right in the end. So, by Rwandan standards, it was good :)

Most of us headed home around 11/12pm. Vince and I stuck it out until about 1pm. Because we're now at GMT +2, they hadn't even started calling in the results yet, so we headed home. He took the first moto and I walked up to the roundabout - it was silent. Nobody around. I stood for about 10-15 minutes waiting for a moto. I eventually got one. I heard voices approaching as I was putting the helmet on - turned out to be Cassandra and Kate, my Canadian friends helping with the single parent network! They were wandering up this deserted street at half-one in the morning. We were supposed to meet up at Heaven, but somehow missed each other. It was a bit random :op

Had a lazy morning preparing for ICT2. I delivered Capacity Building at 2pm. Interesting crowd. Not as bouncy as last time, but then most of them had been up until 5am watching the elections, so forgiven ;)

Got a lift there and back with Amanda - it's been raining all day.

Off for a drink with Cathryn now at Stella, to unwind. I do enjoy doing the training, but it can be a bit nerve-racking and there's so much to pack in to an hour forty-five.

Back in the office tomorrow, translating more of the dictionary, then training again on Friday. Vincent has gone up to Ruhengeri to see the gorillas. He's back for a night on Friday before going to see his sponsor child. He's Australian-Italian, working in Italy. Really chilled-out guy, easy to have around, and I have enjoyed the company. Feeling all sociable again - I go through phases.

Right, off to get ready to go out. Was great waking up to the news this morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment