Friday 28 November 2008

Date-ails


Well I had a pretty groovy time Wednesday night.

After work, I hopped across town to Rose's and dropped off some presents as it was her son's first birthday. Also made a contribution to her transport up to Uganda. She's going to see her grandmother for Christmas - first time she'll have met her great grandson.

Then I came home and chilled out for a bit. Sonya, the volunteer house-sitting for me over Christmas, popped in as she was passing. I gave her the tour and introduced her to the cats. Turned out she also had a date, so we made a pact that if either of them didn't go well we'd text each other for a bail-out.

So, got all dolled up and headed to Republika for eight. I got distracted, as they've just opened a craft shop underneath. I popped in and bought a beautiful shawl. He called to find out where I was, as he was already at the bar (as they say here 'he respects time') - so I told him I was just below, shopping.

We had a drink at the bar, then food. Republika certainly isn't the cheapest, but he wouldn't let me pay for anything! Drinks and food. Stunning. Good conversation. It was really nice.

Then I checked on Sonya, and they were at Chez Lando. It was going well, we decided to join them for a last drink. Quite a long last drink. He walked me home a little after 1am. I was in bed at 1:30, which was hardly strategic with a looong day ahead, but I had a good time. No real spark, though, I don't think. Shame, he's incredibly sweet, really nice guy, but I just didn't fall.

Yesterday was indeed a tough day. Interpreted for almost eight hours for Goret at our PAC and small grants review meeting. Was a good day. I got fed well, and I like all the people who come to it, but combined with the late night I was dead on my feet by the end. Took Ivana home afterwards to give her a jerrycan and some kerosene, then met Cathryn for a very swift drink at Stella - then crashed.

I got about ten hours sleep last night. Today is a wonderfully relaxed day as it's the monthly VSO Disability meeting, so start at 12pm with lunch at La Planet.

I'm really starting to feel like my old self again, actually. Back to positivity and enjoying being here. Think it was just the compulsory one-year nosedive, but all good.

I'm going to ask B if he can find someone to do mehndi patterns with henna, as Hirut suggested we get it done before flying out. Sounds like fun :)

Also got a dress made the other day. Needs a slight adjustment around the neck, but it's absolutely gorgeous. Will be getting more made very soon as the tailor and the cloth market are right outside my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment