Tuesday 10 July 2007

All Systems Are Go

I had my medical today! Eeep.

And, yes, it did involve peeing in a cup. It always does ~sigh~

Thankfully, my usual doctor was away on holiday - I don't particularly get on with him - so today I had the other partner in the practice and I was so amazed. He was an absolutely lovely guy, the complete antithesis of my usual doc. Just really nice.

He went through the paperwork and signed all the forms saying I’m medically fit to go to Africa. My blood pressure was fine, and he also did a shine-in-my-eye test. Apparently, by shining a light on the back of your eye, they can tell by the state of the blood vessels all sorts of things like diabetes and stuff. Apparently, the back of my eyes are in very good condition, which means I’m healthy :) Happy happy happy happy.

I left photocopies of the vaccination sheets for the nurse on the way out. Apparently, she's going to call tomorrow or whenever to arrange to start the course of jabs. But, essentially, the whole medical thing was relatively painless. Not as big and scary as I was imagining. The placement was conditional on a clear medical, so it was the last thing that could have jeopardised it.

I also received an e-mail the other day through Facebook, from a volunteer who's already out there working for the Rwandan Institute for the Deaf on this project. Facebook have a really good VSO Rwanda forum, so it puts everyone in touch with everyone else. Hopefully I’ll be able to build up a much better picture of what's going on out there. I've got to call my VSO Co-ordinator next week to have a proper chat, and I’m already compiling a list of questions.

Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment