Sunday 8 July 2007

Hollowell Steam Rally


Hollowell Steam Rally
 
Went back home to see Mum this weekend. It was the Hollowell Steam Rally. Was a really hectic weekend, always is, but a lot of fun. Incredibly hot. I put on factor 15 suntan lotion and still got sizzled! Met up with an old school friend, Simon, and had a good look around the stalls and classic cars. There's an amazing array of old steam engines, automobiles, heavy horses and so forth as well as craft stalls, food, drink, and the star attractions: beer tents! I took a couple of hurried snaps and some videos which I’ll post later.

In the evening, after the show, we headed to our neighbours', Steve and Irene, for a BBQ. They have a gorgeous garden and had put up a marquee. Plenty of lovely food and grog. It's an annual event. We also have some friends who stay with us over that weekend and came along. They stay because they run a mobile belfry at the show and my family are bell ringers. Mum's partner is the local tower captain. My aunt comes up from London to help, too. It's their way of encouraging new recruits.

Anyway, it was a good and relaxed night. Damian (my nephew) was a sweetheart, as always. He got to go on lots of rides and eat yummy things.

Unfortunately, I returned today to find I had a notice for an outstanding parking fine. I'm sooo mad about that because it happened last May. My landlady had given me a parking permit to use, but neither of us had checked the date. She discovered hers had run out and told me to go check mine, which is when I saw I had a ticket. But the ticket had nothing written on it - no time/date/registration number or crime. So, after consulting friends, we assumed it was a friendly warning to get an up-to-date parking permit. 

I moved my car and I’ve been parking in the none-residential bit ever since, as you have to pay now for a replacement permit. Yet now I get this letter saying 'on this time/date your car did...' - none of which is on my blank parking ticket, the bastards. So, I’m going to try contesting it. They also accuse me of not displaying a parking permit, which isn't true - I did, it was just unwittingly past its use-by date. Sod 'em. See what happens.

Also received my full list of injections for Rwanda. I'm gonna need the usual updating:

Typhoid
Polio/Diphtheria/Tetanus
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B

Rabies
Yellow Fever
Meningococcal Meningitis

Then there are a couple of optional ones like Cholera, Influenza and Pneumonia which I’m very unlikely to need as they're mainly recommended for volunteers over 65 (latter two), and those working in slums or refugee camps (Cholera). I already have my TB jab, not sure if my Polio/Dip/Tet needs updating yet. I also had a meningitis jab when I went to uni in 1999, so perhaps that one is also already covered. 

On the whole, not too bad at all. I have no fear of needles or injections, so bring it on. Got my full medical on Tuesday. Should be interesting to see what they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment