Saturday 28 July 2007

Do You Think? (AKA Owed to Tree)

This poem is dedicated to a friend who asked me to read some of her poetry and tell her what I thought. It is meant kindly, as encouragement to all.

Do You Think? (AKA Owed to Tree ;) )

Do you like what I have written
Do you like the written word?
Do you think you could do better?
Do you think that it’s absurd?

Have I gone too far
Or not nearly far enough?
Is it better structured
Or simply off-the-cuff?

Should I write a stanza
Or possibly an ode
Do you prefer classical
Or in the modern mode?

Should there be another line
Or should there be one less
If I made these two lines rhyme
Would you be impressed?

If I trust in your opinion
Instead of trusting mine
Perhaps instead of average
My verse would be sublime?

Of course the problem there would be
In asking for your take
That fostering a critic
Does not the poet make.

No comments:

Post a Comment