Wednesday 28 November 2007

Aussies!

Auslan alphabet, same as BSL

Last night was good. I introduced Alexis and Philip. 

It was a bit of a sobering moment when Alexis explained that, during the genocide, there was a good chance that the area we were sitting in would quite probably have been filled with bodies. Philip’s going to the gacaca this weekend. I’m looking forward to hearing about it. He asked Alexis directly whether he was Hutu or Tutsi, which is a question I haven’t asked. Same as I don’t ask Bob what he was convicted of to land on Death Row. Of course I’m curious, but I think sometimes it’s good to stay your curiosity. Philip is a very direct person and I don’t think it was wrong of him to ask. 

Geert referred to it as the ‘H-word’ and the ‘T-word’ in Gahini. You don’t talk about it because the constitution sates that there are no Hutus or Tutsis, only Rwandans. Would the English, the Irish, the Scottish and the Welsh give up their identities completely in favour of being ‘British’? Nice ideal, I guess, but possibly somewhat impractical. Alexis diplomatically replied that only 1% of the population was ever likely to give a straight answer to that question.

I also asked him about the umupfumu question: does it literally translate as 'into death'? He doesn’t know but will ask around. He said it’s also very close to the word for ‘cadaver’ or ‘corpse’. Considering how close to the Congo we are, thoughts of mayombero spring to mind...?

Anyway, enough. Must stem my curiosity once more. It’s interesting though – people here don’t seem to mind too much if you’re a ‘paganist’ so long as you believe in something. Atheism causes a real problem, it’s just not conceived of here.

Today started pretty slowly. I arrived at 9am. The cleaner was washing the office, so I sat next door with Léon for about an hour until I couldn’t take the inertia any longer and headed to the nearest internet café to get on with a few bits and pieces.

I came back and just sat around the office whilst Léon typed up some stuff. Started working on my Kinyarwanda – slow going, but keeps me occupied.

Things really became more exciting around 2pm when Augustin’s guests arrived – Aussies! Utterly fantastic because BSL and Auslan are so very, very similar. There’s no problems communicating in sign, bit like speaking UK and US English. It was brilliant to meet them and have a chat and a joke without worrying if my AKR was correct. Loads of Deaf turned up and we had a brilliant afternoon signing in both languages. It was excellent. Also got to have a proper chat with Augustin about a few office matters, which was good. Now have some stuff to be getting on with, but the lack of internet is a huge problem. May try and spend some time at VSO using their connection.

Left quite late because I was having such fun. I was invited to a birthday do tonight, but passed it up as I was quite tired. Just had a nice relaxing chill-out at home. Minor triumph: my washing was finally dry when I got home, after three days on the line :op 

Not too sure what’s happened to my guard though – seems to be out for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment