Saturday 17 November 2007

Italiana - yum yum

The Guard Hut

[GMT +2 Rwandan time]

Yesterday afternoon I had a visit from Karen and Antonia. Antonia is a signer from North Wales, and knew Eddie from the BDA there. She currently works in Butare in the south. Karen is a Social Inclusion Officer. she doesn’t sign, but isn’t an oralist either.

It was really good to finally meet them. They both sent welcome texts when I arrived, so names to faces. We went for dinner at La Luna, the very posh Italian restaurant which is just around the corner from me! It’s really beautiful, set in a garden with an open upstairs seating area that looks over Kigali, which is hypnotic at night with all the lights. Ocasionally, areas of the town have power-cuts and disappear in the darkness, then all the lights will twinkle back on :op

We were joined by a Canadian volunteer called Kirsti, who also works in Special Needs Education.

Was a good night. Interesting to hear about everything going on. Antonia’s just landed £3,000 from the International Deaf Children’s organisation to set up pre-school education for children and adults. Hopefully I’ll be able to get the RNAD involved.

Today, I refuse to go out. Just having a really lazy day in the house all to myself. First time since arrival. I’m going to town tomorrow for the Deaf Bible Studies group with Léon. Hopefully a good chance to introduce myself and network. Will go to the internet café again afterwards and update my blog etc.

*

Argh, I really don’t think I like being guarded. 

It’s just really odd. All I wanted to do today was stay indoors and talk to no-one. Hermit mode. My first day all to myself and that’s what I wanted to do with it, just monge around in my jarmies being stinky, not washing, eating peanut butter sandwiches, and being all-round slobby. I very almost got away with it, too. Then, in the evening, there was a knock on my door and my guard and guard-to-be were standing outside. It was so well intentioned. Damascène (not Damilain as previously written) always seems to like to let me know he’s arrived. He only works nights, so isn’t about during the day. An odd set-up methinks. Surely I’m most likely to get broken into during the day when I’m at work? 

Peter seems to pop round now and then to check on Damascène. Even my drawn curtains weren’t a deterrent for dreaded courtesy! So, there was much standing, shaking of hands, smiling and nodding, and then awkward shuffling. Me standing there, unwashed and in my jarmies at half-four in the afternoon, actually quite peeved at this very polite interruption to my lounging. They’re really nice guys, and I know I’m sounding like a whinging moo cow, but I just wanted to be left alone for a day.

The additional problem comes from knowing that Philip feeds Peter, my guard-to-be. He said he has breakfast with him and shares a bite to eat in the evenings. I had no idea about this. I hadn’t been feeding Damascène. Then I found out that Antonia and Karen also seem to feed their guards from time to time! Apparently it’s 50/50 between volunteers as to whether they do or not, but no one tells you these things. I’ve never had a guard before. I don’t know what to do. So, one, I was feeling like a complete stooge for not feeding him, and two, I’m scared that when Peter becomes my guard he’s going to expect breakfast and dinner! As far as I’m aware, it’s not expected, and Peter’s been guarding for VSO for donkey's, so he must have met all sorts. But it’s this complete social paranoia about ‘what do I do?’ I just feel completely awkward having this guy living in my back garden (renaming it the guard-den) and sitting on my front step at night. I know it shouldn’t be an issue, but it bothers me. It’s just so completely weird.

So, I spent an hour on the phone to Mum ranting and now I feel much better :)

[NB 2013: Yes, for those of you in the know, I was talking about SoleLuna.]

No comments:

Post a Comment