Thursday 29 November 2007

Power Cuts

Had an annoying day today. I have ‘office issues’. My issues are with communications and the electricity. We don’t have a phone or the internet. Basically, we’re cut off from the entire outside world.Very difficult to conceive of doing anything when news letters from the International Deaf Children’s Society and the World Federation for the Deaf have a web address or e-mail address every second line. 

Ermn, hello – that’s world and international – i.e. developing countries that don’t always have regular access. Anyway, communications I could live with at present if it weren’t for the power cuts which leave us without a computer. There are only so many ‘to do’ lists you can write before you actually want to get on with something.

Léon was typing in the morning. When he left, I leapt on the computer – two minutes later, power cut. I gave it an hour, then wandered home (in the blistering heat) to go to the VSO office and use their internet/computer. I booked myself into lunch there (FRW700/70p) for a treat and got myself fed up. Started tippety-tapping away on the computer... power cut. I gave it half an hour, then decided to go banking and shopping. That accomplished, I’m now at home tippety-tapping on my laptop... there’s a power cut. I have enough battery to last another hour and a quarter, by which time it should be back on. Haven’t known it to be this bad before!

Water was pissing me off yesterday. I was off most of the day - the one night I forgot to fill the bucket up ;o( Sod’s law! I always fill my washing bucket up at night so that I'm guaranteed a wash in the morning.

Aaaaanyway. On the up-side, whilst waiting for the power to come back on at VSO, I perused their vast library and fiction shelves. Found Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters. Loved the TV adaptation and always wanted to read the book, so I shall, once I finish Pillars of the Earth.

In addition, there’s a shelf where volunteers leave stuff they don’t need, often when they're heading home. Some lovely lady left a couple of packs of doxy (antimalarials) – so that’s brilliant. Pocketed a few of those and an alcohol hand rub, which is always useful after you’ve been shaking hands all day and handling FRW100 notes, which are grubby as they come.

Also found Cadbury Eclairs at my local supermarket! Another volunteer said they’re worth investing in because they’re actually nice. Much of the chocolate here is a bit rubbish/gone off. So, I’m happy. Just blew £15 on grocery shopping! That’s a lot of money, but it should keep me stocked up for a while. Saw a bottle of Bailey’s on the shelf too - £23!!! Think I’ll stick with the waragi thank you very much - £1.30 ;) 

Contemplating going to Salsa tonight and dancing out some of my frustration. First, need to go wash my hair - it’s been four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment