Monday 5 November 2007

In-Country Training

[GMT +2 Rwandan time]

Well, first morning here – just had a shower. Hot water is an interesting concept. I have it, but that’s all I have :) Only the hot water on the shower works, fluctuating between scolding and okay. When I can’t stand under it, I put a bucket (provided) there to collect the water and use it to wash my clothes in.

On another eco/energy-saving point – plastic bags are banned here, which is great, and all soft drinks come in glass, re-usable bottles.

I went to bed at half-eight last night, sparko. Slept until my alarm went at six. Breakfast at seven. Did have a small pang of ‘oh my god, what have I done,’ but sure it will pass.

I like sleeping under a mozy net – something comfortable about them, like a giant tent.

Touch wood, haven’t seen a mozy yet! Few tiny black moth-like things, though. Harmless.

Birds are singing this morning. It’s the short rainy season, so a few sudden downpours.

*

Wow, what a long and interesting first day. Strange being the odd one out, not knowing anyone, but just the way it is.

Lot of discussions about poeple’s first couple of months in placement. Lot of positives, few negatives, which helps prepare me.

Felt much more part of the group today. I was very tired last night, and it was a big re-union do for them.

I appear to be the only two-year placement. All the others are one year, and mostly Youth for Development workers. Weird. Still, I know Bruce is coming out in January.

There’s also another signer here. Not on this training, but working in the South. They’ll pay for me to go visit her. She’s just extended for her third year. Really looking forward to that.

One of the other vols here said she met my future colleague at the employee training they hold. He was really happy to have me, and looking forward to working with me! Really heartening, as some have said they haven’t felt particularly wanted or welcome in their placements. The fact he turned up to the employee training at all is apparently a sign of commitment :)

Today began with a two-hour Kinyarwanda session. Loved it, and apparently I’m doing really well for just having started :)

After we finished, I received a Rwandan SIM card for my moby, but still working it out. All the help lines are in French, so need to find someone tomorrow, which shouldn’t be a problem – loads of French speakers here :)

Also got some Rwandan Francs as an advancement on my pay, so that I could go to the pub with everyone – my first trip outside the gates! :)

Was fantastic. Dark here by 6pm every night, but Mediterranean warm. Lovely little pub up the road (the red dirt road) – like a large shack with huts outside to sit in. Had another power-cut halfway through. Seems to be the norm. Everyone toasted my arrival, which was lovely :) No street lights either – fun stumbling home.

Had dinner after that. The food here is amazing, seriously nice.

It’s 9:30pm. Just relaxing, then going to do a bit of hand-washing and bed. Excellent first day.


My Bed at Amani

Rest of Room

Bathroom

No comments:

Post a Comment