Tuesday 13 November 2007

SewSimple



[GMT +2 Rwandan time]

Eeep, cold night. Haven’t got any blankets or pillows yet. Slept under my woollen shall and used a jumper for a pillow. Getting used to the sounds here. Near a main road, so a lot of traffic, but sounds more like gusts of wind than traffic, so I just imagine it’s stormy out - which wasn’t far wrong this morning. It’s tipping it down. I woke at about twenty-past six and it’s been raining ever since. Unusual, usually it’s just a sudden downpour then it stops. Not going to be fun shopping in this.

I’ve arranged with Bosco to meet about 11am to go into town and buy ‘stuff’.

*

3:30pm

Went shopping at the Chinese Shop earlier today and spent a whole FRW65,000! Ouch. But now I have bedding, cooking assortments, and bits and bobs. Surprisingly little for that amount. Anyhoo, Bosco was a star yet again. He's incredibly patient. Dropped me off back home with all my kit. Really enjoying just having the day to myself and sorting stuff out – pottering.

Think I’ve prepped the kerosene stove. Might try cooking something later. The water filter is giving me jip. It's leaking, so you can’t filter very much at a time. May talk to VSO. Martine said some people glue it or even use chewing gum!

*

Just as I typed that, I remembered I had a little bottle of something called SewSimple, which is a latex glue for repairing damaged clothes – but a latex glue all the same. I don’t need to stick the water filter's tap on, I just need to seal it. So, I’ve taken the filter apart, dried it, and fixed the tap up with this stuff! Fingers crossed. If it works, I’ll be asking people to send more out as it’s a common problem.

Anyway, I saved the water from this morning’s wash, and I’ve just done a bag of washing sitting on my doorstep – quite relaxing actually, but not sure I’ll be able to keep it up. Everything’s drying in the sunshine now. I also had the company of an amazing lizard, who seems to live in my tree. Beautiful colours – blue and green.

Managed to take a couple of snaps of the house too.


*

Just cooked a nice meal: rice with fish in tomato sauce. I bought the fish, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and chillies over the road at a well stocked supermarket. The cooker worked really well, although temperature control is something to be practiced. Didn’t take too long, either. About an hour. Only one ring, so you have to swap pans. After boiling, I let the rice steam whilst I did the fish and tomatoes. Got enough left for tomorrow too, which should be good as I probably won’t feel like cooking when I get home.

The landlady popped round with the electricity card, which you top-up at the petrol station over the way. There’s a meter on the side of the house. Was a bit random as neither she nor the guard speak much English, so I just sort of stood there with my dinner cooking on the porch. I think my guard changes in a few weeks to a guy who is away at the moment and speaks perfect English. That could be interesting. He used to guard for a previous volunteer who was here. Apparently there used to be volunteers in this house, then the rent went up. Then the lady had a tenant she didn't like, so she lowered the price for VSO again, hence I’m here.

Anyway, tomorrow is my first day at work, so I’d better get some shut-eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment