Thursday 10 July 2008

Nooblieboop :)


Just sitting here cuddling a kitten. Mao almost got himself run over yesterday being the silly four-pawed furry bump that he is. Every time I go to the shops, he follows me, and now he's getting bold enough to cross the road. Last night he darted out in front of a car and just stood there! Daft blimp. I threw my arm out and the guy luckily saw him in time and stopped. *sigh* These guys are giving me worry lines before my time!

Anyway.

It was a good night last night. Rose did come over. She's had her phone swiped, so couldn’t call. She brought a skirt her friend's selling, and I couldn't resist. I really shouldn’t be spending money at the moment, but it's beautiful, a blue wrap-round from Uganda, £9. Rather expensive, but it really is lovely and long and floaty.

We did a couple of hours of computer training. She's a natural. Then she taught me some Kinya. VSO pay for me to have lessons, so it seems useful combining the two. That then gives her some travel money. I learned that I've been ordering brochettes wrong, and my pronunciation needs to relax a bit. I'm really bad at remembering vocabulary, but little by little.

After she headed home, I stayed up until midnight finishing the PSF accounts. They are a work of accounting art! They fought me every single step of the way, but thank the heavens for Excel's auto-calculate button. They look wonderful: spreadsheets full of little orange subtotal boxes, grey total ones, and lots of little figures everywhere that all add up.

Our original ask was FRW 16,280,000. It's now a revised and realistic FRW 19,982,400 ;)

I'm really proud of it, though. It may not have been entirely high-participation, but it’s a darn fine project if I do say so myself. At least now, through trial and error, I understand the accounting system.

I can only wait and see what happens.

I'm having a relaxed day today, working on my presentation for tomorrow: The Role of the Volunteer in Fundraising. Oddly, not for Capacity Building but for Disability. Three people who have all been here longer than I have. But, still... :o/

Off to salsa tonight to see Jo & Pierre, possibly with company (Regis) but not sure yet. D woke me up at 5am this morning, pottering about the house, and then left. I didn't get out of bed, but the only place I could think you'd go at that time in the morning would be Uganda. Very odd. No note or anything, and some of his clothes are still here... *shrug*

Still, feeling pretty good today, now that I've got those two reports out of the way. That's a whole world of work off my shoulders. Proud that it's a job well done. Gave Rose half the money to start getting our NGO registered last night. I'm starting up the accounts system for that, too. Going to get it right from the very start. She's been asking around local single parents but they were a little under-enthusiastic. Apparently, a group of people had been round once before, telling them they were going to help - led by a mzungu - but nothing ever came of it, so they’re not too sure about us yet. Think I'd best stay out of sight with the paperwork lol

No comments:

Post a Comment