Tuesday 22 July 2008

Splishy Splashy

Colourfield by Shane Irwin
 
Having a really good week so far. Cathryn’s parents are over and I met up with them at SoleLuna on Saturday night, which was lovely. There was a ton of pizza left over, so I got it wrapped up (you can do that anywhere here) and brought it home. I was going to eat it for breakfast but we all decided to take a stroll down to Nyuraturama for the day. Cathryn and I had a good splash about in the pool, then we had lunch there. Her mum very kindly bought mine, which was a lovely treat!

When I got back the cats had broken into the store cupboard and eaten the pizza lol I forgave them, I can only manage one proper meal a day now. I'll have to get into training for when my folks come out as there’ll be plenty to eat then.

It was interesting listening to what Cathryn's parents thought of the country, sort of a dress rehearsal for September ;) The word they used was ‘extreme’ which is interesting because it’s the word all us vols use too, even those who have been here a few years. Rwanda is a country of extremes: major ups and major lows. That holiday vibe side-by-side with real poverty.

So, it was a very chilled-out and relaxing weekend. I was dreading Monday. Our next round of funding has been approved by VSO, but there’s been a bit of a fuddle with the accounts which has to be ironed out before we get it. Thankfully, the whole meeting was in Kinya so I didn’t have to participate (Francois interpreted for me by lip reading Kinya into AKR/sign). It wasn’t as disastrous as I’d been bracing myself for. After what seemed like a lot of shouting and head-shaking everyone stood up, hugged, and said it was all good :) They’ve had another meeting today which I wasn’t required at, to get the details agreed. It’ll all be ooookaaaay.

Essentially, we were running in arias with the funding due to a hiccup at the start, which VSO didn’t spot until they revamped the finance department. It’s nothing critical and, now it’s sorted, we can start again properly with the next lot. We were joking because Léon’s delayed salary has been sanctioned by VSO from the transport fund, but Augustin is really reluctant to pay him because he wants to use the transport money for volunteers. I was going on at him, telling him he had to pay Léon. He turned around and said that I should pay him, then shook his head and signed "No, she can’t pay him, she’s poor – look how much weight she’s lost." 

I had to laugh. Weight here is a direct measure of wealth. I do seem to be shedding it, though. Dad sent me some elasticated waist size 12 jogging bottoms so that I can start going to the gym. I looked at them and laughed thinking ‘yeah, right,’ but they fit!! They’re snug, but they fit. My jaw cracked as it hit the floor. There are no scales or large mirrors here, so you never think much about your body shape. I think they’re a bit generous as I was size 12-14 top and size 16 bum when I got here, now I fit size 14 (and elasticated 12 :op) bum and 12-14 tops. Top doesn’t change – less of a tum but ample bust :)

I do appear to have dropped a dress size, though. It’s a bit unusual as most men lose a lot of weight here but most women pile it on! I think it’s not having anywhere to go and eat properly at work, and just general laziness when it comes to cooking. No complaints, though. Nice African suntan, slimmer body and all. I don’t smoke anymore either, and rarely drink much now that everyone’s gone. Not much of a social life.

Having said that, I’m meeting up with Martine tonight for a few bevvies. I also received a ton of parcels today – thanks Mum, Dad and Aunty Jean! Filled with cuppa soup, chocolate, instant cappuccino, hot chocolate, herbs, spices and cooking sauces. Soooo good. Can’t wait to try out the sauces. I'll go do some shopping probably on Thursday.

The cats have made a good recovery and all back to normal. House is once again spotless, thanks to Karzai. He really is an absolute godsend. I don’t think I could go back to doing all the housework myself.

We've been experiencing power cuts a lot the past couple of days, which is unusual for my house, though the VSO office five doors up gets them all the time. The internet’s also been out for the past couple of days. Jo said MTN’s fallen apart again. I was tripping over cats in the dark with candles most of last night.

Still embroiled in my row with Electrogaz. I sent a very assertive ‘your company sucks, get your act together’ letter addressed to the Managing Director today. First letter I’ve ever sent in Rwanda as it takes so long to find a printer that works, buy an envelope, and get to the posting section of the Post Office. I’m about certain it won’t get a response, but it’s my last-ditch attempt before I go to VSO and cry. It does appear to be air pressure in the pipes. I was watching my meter today and it’s whizzing round but there’s no water on anywhere in the house. Bizarre.

So, all is kind of cool and relaxed at the moment. I’m heading down to Butare again on Saturday and staying over for Antonia’s goodbye bash. By the end of September there won’t be anyone I was on training with still in my area. Mel and Loona are the only two still local to me, and they’re both leaving. Joanne and Morley are in Kigali and leaving. Martine’s going home for three months… everyone else is based out of town. Quiet times ahead.

Flookily, I also noticed that one of my uni tutors from Reading/TAEDS, Shane Irwin, also seems to have skipped the country and joined the VSO train in Papua New Guinea! Small world. It is the way to go if you want out of the UK short or long-term.

Right, I’m off to visit the Sign Language Dictionary publisher now. I'm supposed to be going with my colleague but, what a surprise, he's a no-show ;) I’m swinging back home via Alpha Palace to check out the gym prices, then out for drinkypoos with Martine.

Aaah, hard life ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment