Wednesday 20 August 2008

Aaah, Happiness

Bye bye old office.
Fond memories.

I've had a lovely evening, actually. Arrived at the office just before four and Goreth, Parfait, Emmanuel, Gerard and a young student called Philbert were there, waiting for the truck to arrive. We started packing up the office. Really very little there: couple of cupboards, couple of tables and desks, few chairs, and a couple of bags of papers.

Bumped into Steve (Ezra's younger broth who lives with D) and said hello. I promised to go and visit, he's a nice guy. They're also thinking of moving offices as the landlady is asking silly amounts of money.

The fellas with the truck loaded it up. Me and Goreth went up front whilst the lads walked it. We stopped for petrol halfway, so they pretty much beat us on foot! They ran alongside the van the last few metres. The guys here are damn fit. Puts me to shame.

The new office is smaller - just one room - and bright yellow. It looks like an MTN shop! Based in the Zinnia Centre up a long dirt track in Kicukiro. I love the vibe, and the people are really nice. Bit more 'muzungu' than the main road, but feels alive - feels like Africa. And there's a minimart at the end of the road, plus a kiosk right outside our door! I won't starve!

Contrary to Léon's first assessment there's actually five plugs, not one, and a phone cable box! Possibility of actual internet instead of USB! Thanks to my funding efforts we'll soon have two new computers, too. Emmanuel can start teaching computer skills one-on-one to our members.

It was a real bonding experience. Augustin also turned up. I really enjoyed it. I'm kind of glad that my private office is no more. I used it to hide away a bit, but there's something about the vibe of this place - maybe the bright yellow - that makes me feel more sociable. Looking forward to working there.

It was almost seven by the time I left and pitch black outside. Emmanuel walked me down winding paths, and held my hand so that I didn't fall on my arse. He pointed out things to help me remember the way. I might start walking if I'm not taking the laptop. We passed fruit and veg stalls, little shops, a salon, even a café! It's proper Rwandan, rather than all-nicely-developed-and-stuff. I love it. I know, I sound like a right pumpkin, eh? But there are more people around this part, and most of them were nice to me. I tried a bit of Kinya and instantly made friends with the guy in the kiosque outside, and the landlord. It was really an incentive to learn more! I could become conversational in a place like that. Love the area, but not foolhardy. I wouldn't walk around on my own after dark. Bit back-street. Think I'll enjoy taking my family there, though. The other office was very swish in comparison, but a bit flat on the ol' vibe. This is a funky office.

Anyway, I'm home now. I've got the place all to myself and I've just eaten a pâté sandwich, courtesy of Antonia, and cracked open a Mutzig. Job well done. Feel right contented. Tired, but happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment