Monday 25 August 2008

CouchSurfing Complete

Ladies round the table at
my second home, Stella.

And guess what... no one in the office today :op

Thursday night was awkward. Went to Pasadena in Gikondo for Jo's farewell salsa night. JM turned up - which was nice. So did D and Steve, who also live in that area now. Oh well. All cordial, though.

Had fun with Léon on Friday. He showed me around the new office area and it's fantastic: cheap cloth market, vegetables, household goods. A charcoal stove for FRW 400 (80p!), loads of really nice stalls just outside the door. Going to start doing some shopping here as it's soooo much cheaper than Ndoli's. People seem nice, too. Apparently, Léon said one of the stall owners commented that I was well dressed as we went past.

Friday night was a bit of a mess. I met up with Alicia at VSO after work. I'm getting involved in the Kivu Writers project to help train fundraisers and project managers. She introduced me to Firmen, who is the President, and we had a really productive talk about potential funding stratergies. Really nice guy. Thankfully, his English is fantastic.

Afterwards, Alicia, Cathryn, Shelina and I, ajourned to La Planet for drinkypoos and food. Shelina's here on a short-term contract. She's VSOed just about everywhere. Her last placement was in Mongolia and she's now here doing a consultancy contract before entering the world of real work. Afterwards, Cathryn, Alicia and I, continued on to Stella for ibirhy and more beer. Then Catheryn and I went to mine via Ndoli's and jumped on the waragi train. We passed out somewhere around 2:30 and Cathryn took my spare bed. I was knackered.

Next morning she bounds out of the door at about 7am to go do the Kivu Writers Guild workshop at VSO. I said I'd swing by later just to meet everyone, but it took me until about 2pm just to be able to get out of bed and eat something. I was in a terrible state - worst hangover I think I've ever had.

I did eventually make it there, though. Three marmite sandwiches later  - thanks again Antonia! Marmite seems to cure hangovers. JM's texted advice on traditional Rwandan cures for hangovers was less than exotic: 2ltr water, 4 hours sleep, shower, and eat something. Cheers - I don't have a shower and I need to be at a meeting in half an hour lol

The Guild are a group of previous participants in the project who are now training to be Creative Writing Facilitators themselves. It's a good strategy now that Kivu Writers is almost constituted as a registered charity. It will soon be much easier to start the funds hunt.

Saturday night, my Couchsurfers got back from their gorilla trek via Gisenyi. They'd had an excellent time. It's made me really excited about my own trip in a couple of weeks. Can't wait. Still doesn't feel real, though!

It was Cathryn's partner, J's birthday that night. The three of us joined friends at India Khazana for a meal. Cathryn was still on surprisingly good form after our late-night binge. I was falling asleep on the table and unable to finish half my meal, but the food did do me good.

Sunday, I had a major lie-in until about ten. My Couchsurfers headed to Gisozi and I arranged to meet them at Nyarutarama pool later, where I was going with Shelina, Hirut and Giudi. I spent a long time writing out very clear instructions on how to get there... then forgot to leave the spare key outside!

Had a brilliant time at the pool, and we stayed for food afterwards. It was dark by the time I got back and my surfers were waiting on the porch! It was okay, though. Turns out they'd gone to SoleLuna for a meal in my absense. I felt even more guilty when they gave me presents! A couple of buckets to use as bins, as I don't have any, and extra water containers. They were present during a water-on and helped me fill up jerry cans lol Also, a very funky torch, which does different colours, and a jar of hot chocolate! Really incredibly kind of them.

It's been a pleasure having them and I would certainly recommend CouchSurfing to anyone with a spare couch, or anyone wandering about the world...

...hah. Having said that, I've just had a call from another surfer who's in Kigali and needs a bed for a couple of nights! I've just said yes lol

Makes for an interesting life :)

So, it's been a slightly hectic but fun couple of days. Lots of food and drink and friends. Lots of chatting with Shelina and Hirut about consultancy work. The offer of Christmas in Sierra Leone was repeated... I checked it out on the Foreign Office site and it's got the green light. Going to check on prices this week. Beats spending another non-Christmas here in Kigali, what with everyone going home or leaving. There will be some new volunteers here, but I think it would be a tad depressing.

Tired, but all good. My colleague's just shown me a book because it had Deaf children in it. It's a catalogue of children's experiences of the genocide. I'd not seen it before. Interesting stuff: Stars of Rwanda, Ed. Wiljo Woodi Oosterom 2004, Silent Work Foundation. ISBN 90-808862-2-X.


The full Rwandan treatment,
trying on my mushanana.

No comments:

Post a Comment