Monday 18 August 2008

*yawn*

Ooooh deary me…

The most boooooring day on record. Came into the office. I usually head home around 3pm, but Augustin called a meeting for four, which I was happy about because it's to discuss the next round of our VSO funding. I’ve already turned one wall of the office into a giant progress chart with tasks and tick boxes.

No internet connection today. I’ve just finished reading Titanic Express and I am mighty impressed by Richard Wilson both as a human being and a writer. Very decent book indeed. It’s interesting that the last two non-fiction books I’ve read, Emergency Sex and Titanic Express, have both been hugely damning of the UN. I was thinking about jobs there, but now I firmly believe it would be morally wrong to do so. The amount of suffering and civilian casualties the UN has either ignored or failed to prevent are quite staggering. Between the two books, there isn't much of the world they haven’t set up a coffee and donut tent beside, from which to sit and watch governments and populations go up in flames whilst, in certain circumstances, causing human rights violations of their own.

UN - nice concept, fucking atrocious practice.

Finished that somewhere around 1pm. Bought a supply of chapatis and chocolate to work. I think I’m piling on the pounds again recently, since I started bringing lunch into the office. Now I'm sitting here bored out of my skull.

Léon popped in to say we’re probably moving offices tomorrow. The landlady recently put the rent up from £120 p.m. to £150, which is a massive increase that we probably can’t cover. Not that we’ve paid the rent in four months anyway. Léon’s all chuffed because he’s found a really nice office just up the road, very big apparently. Sounds nice. Probably should inform VSO at some point, if MTN ever finds its way out of the wardrobe.

Totally run out of things to do now. Trying to write a funding application but need internet access. Going to print out the monthly task list I’ve drawn up to attempt to help us meet our funding targets on time. Top of the list: ‘buy internet connection for office’ – huzah! About bloody time. They were promising to install it the day I got here – nine months ago *sigh* 

My biggest concern is that we don’t do a Lenny Henry sketch: ‘oooh, thanks for funding our project… but I think we should spend the money on…’ So long as we stick to the wall chart, it will all be ooookaaaay. And it will. Failure is not an option whilst I’m holding the squeaky red board marker! ;)

I’ve already got RSI from playing Solitaire, Hearts and FreeCell for hours on end. It’s also bordering on uncomfortably warm today.

*

Oooh, very humid. Sky dark. Possibly the first thunderstorm of the season brewing. Hopefully not keeping me hostage in the office!

Very nice nun visiting, too. I got to practice my Kinyarwanda and she understood! Yay – if only to confirm that she doesn’t speak English and that my Kinyarwanda is very small :)

Yay – internet’s back on for the last hour – though it’s about as entertainingly fast as watching paint dry :(

No comments:

Post a Comment